Need a New UPS, please help

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by Kingkobra, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Kingkobra

Kingkobra Geek Trainee

A power outbreak or whatever just get rid of my Monitor and UPS so, i need to buy another one.

According to my specs wich one You recommend:
    Want to know if i need 750VA or 1000VA...?? ; it has to be with automatic voltage regulator or just surge suppression...??

Thanks in advance

Specs:
    A8N-SLI Deluxe;
    AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3700+, 2211Mhz;
    2GB Dual channel Memory;
    Plextor DVDR PX-716A;
    Seagate 250 Gb S-ATA;
    EVGA GeForce 6800 GT 256 MB
    Thermaltake 600W power supply

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

APC Back-Ups. Depending on how long you want this system to run. 1000VA would last longer than 750VA. They have a page here to help you pick a UPS.

You'd need a voltage regulator if you have a lot of brownouts in your area or the circuit your system is on takes a hit when other devices are turned out. If neither condition applies, then don't worry about voltage regulators. Surge protection is something you want.

I'm biased toward APC simply because of the great customer support they have, but Belkin is another good choice.

3. Kingkobra

Kingkobra Geek Trainee

I definetly have a lot of brownouts in my area and hole country (Honduras).
    So, Should Istick with 750 VA if i'm not worried about long lasting backup ???

By the way great ups selector from APC

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

As long as it gives you enough time to save and shut down, then it's fine. I would think that that unit would give you enough time. Even my 350VA UPS I use works quite well with my main box. It gives me plenty of time to shut down the few times I've needed it.

Oh, and I just saw their line of voltage regulators, which would be something you might want to snag as frequent switching between the AC and battery backup is hard on the UPS.