Need a suggestion for a power supply

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by thegil080, Jun 5, 2010.

1. thegil080

thegil080 Geek Trainee

I need a SMALL, QUIET 550-650w (its what my 9800 GT suggests) for around 90 bucks.

Also, the power supply i have right now is 500w and it ran my graphics card for about 8-9 months, but recently started to shutdown at random times, not necessarily when I ran high resource games, but even when surfing the net at times. If anyone could suggest a fix that doesn't require buying a new PSU i would HIGHLY appreciate it.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

What power supply do you currently have? What temps do you have for the CPU and GPU?

3. thegil080

thegil080 Geek Trainee

It's stock but it says "delta electronics" it's a 400w. And looking back I see that the graphics card required a 400w so I dunno why I'm getting these random shutdowns. Also I don't know how to go about checking the temps of my CPU or gpu.

4. edijs

edijs Programmer

For the CPU temps you can use CoreTemp;
    For the GPU temps you can use GPU-z;

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, 400W is a general baseline requirement. The problem comes in when you look at how the power is divided. There are 3 main rails coming from the power supply: +3.3V, +5V, and +12V. Much of the industry is shifting to running off the +12V rail, including power hungry parts like the GPU and CPU. Also, as a power supply ages, it loses some of its peak output.

What I would check is the amperage (A) for the +12V rail. If it's not 30A or more, it would be a good investment to purchase one. I would suggest the likes of Corsair, Thermaltake, OCZ, Silverstone or Seasonic...for example. They should all have a 500W-600W that will do the job, Seasonic in particular.

6. thegil080

thegil080 Geek Trainee

Yeah mine only has 10A at 12v lol. I guess we found the prob, thanks!

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Wow and ouch.