Need help building a computer...

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by powerfreak, Jan 23, 2005.

1. powerfreak

powerfreak Geek Trainee

I built a new computer for a video editing system using the supermicro P4SCT+II MB. I have a P4 3.2 / 800FSB cpu and Kingston PC3200 ram (2 x 512).

When I power up the system I'm getting no video output and the standby LED (on the MB) remains on. The harddrive sounds like it's starting up and the CPU is warm (so I assume it's working). I'm hearing no beeps and I let it run for a few minutes with no change. I have tried installing the RAM in both DIMM 0A/1A and 0B/1B.

I have removed all cards and swapped in different RAM from another computer, and tried an AGP video card and the onboard VGA, no change. I have gone over all jumpers all look good.

I talked to tech support and exchanged the MB but the same thing is happening with the new board too.

WHAT AM I MISSING?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

2. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

On the side of your powersupply there will be a white sticker, this will state the Ampage that your powersupply can provide to each Voltage Rail. Ampage is alot more important than Wattage, Wattage is merely a measurement of the total max power available to the system.

If you could possibly post back with the details of your powersupply's Voltage Rail information, this would greatly help in diagnosing your problem, also if possible a full specification of your computer and whats in it:

Manufacturer / Model / Speed e.t.c

Personally I would either say that your powersupply is not powerful enough, however more information will help us determine this.

I realise you said that you have checked all your Jumpers, have you cleared the CMOS?

3. powerfreak

powerfreak Geek Trainee

Thanks, here's the power supply specs...Output: +3.3V@15A, +5V@35A, +12V@17A, [email protected], [email protected], +5VSB@2A (450W total). It's a MGE Vigor450.

The CPU is a p4 prescott.
    Harddrives - WD 80g, 2x WD 250g SATA.
    I have tried the onboard VGA and a NVIDIA GeForvce video card (which I pulled from my other computer, so I no it works)

I have not cleared the CMOS...should I try that?

4. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Yes clear the CMOS, but make sure that your computer is turned off and there is not power connected to the computer.

Then try and turn your computer on, if it does not work then you need to get a new powersupply, i doubt clearing the CMOS will work, as by the looks of things your powersupply is a generic powersupply. The ampage on it doesn't look very good at all. Especially if you are running 2 x 250GB drives 1 x 80GB, a prescott, graphics card.. e.t.c thats quite abit of power consumption..

If the CMOS doesn't work, disconnect all connection / power cables to your 2 spare 250GB hard drives, graphics card (use your onboard) and see if that works.

5. Addis

Addis The King

Yea its a jumper setting on your motherboard. your manual should tell you where it is.

Also you can use your graphics card without any power connector plugged in.

6. powerfreak

powerfreak Geek Trainee

OK, I cleared CMOS and tried it with only my HD plugged in and used onbaord VGA. NOTHING.

I did realize that my system drive doesn't sound like it's running, so I tried 1 SATA drive that is running and still NOTHING.

I also found that my dvd-rom drive doesn't power up unless the ATA cable is unplugged...weird. My DVD-burner works fine.

Can I ask what is supposed to happen when you power-up a computer for the first time???

7. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

it merely boots.. like a normal computer turns on..

I'm almost 100% certain that its your powersupply.. you need a more powerful PSU.. you've got 15A on some rails :eek:

8. powerfreak

powerfreak Geek Trainee

my MB manual says that the powersupply must supply 1 amp of 5V standby voltage. How do I tell if it does?

Also recommends that the PSU meets 12V ATX 1.1 or above...what does this mean?

THANKS again.

9. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

12V ATX 1.1 is a requirement for a certain level of power expected from the PSU, as for the standby this means that your computer requires 1amp of power just to run in standby mode..

I would try a more powerful powersupply if possible, also what overall wattage does your powersupply supposed to do?

10. powerfreak

powerfreak Geek Trainee

my PSU is rated at 450W. I read all kinds of good reviews on it before I bought. If needing a ATX 1.1 rather than a ATX make a difference I'll order the right one.

11. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

12. powerfreak

powerfreak Geek Trainee

Thanks for the link Big B. Yes, I read the manual and tried everything else except pulling the CMOS battery. Trying that today.

13. powerfreak

powerfreak Geek Trainee

OK, after speaking with my MB tech support and my PSU support, I'm going with the theory that the CPU is bad. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks for the help.

14. powerfreak

powerfreak Geek Trainee

BTW, I'm also going with a bigger PSU to make sure that's not a problem too. I ordered a Antec Truepower 550. That should do the trick.

15. powerfreak

powerfreak Geek Trainee

OK...I figured it out. When the reset switch is plugged in, the board doesn't work. I powered up the board out of the case and it worked, so I re-installed it, powering it up after every connection was made. It worked until I plugged in the reset switch. :rolleyes:

Must be a bad switch or wire I guess. P-I-A! :mad:
    Special thanks to supermicro tech support who kept telling me to return the MB and CPU because they were bad. :mad:

16. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

That's the first time I've seen that particular problem, and I think, while it obviously does happen, the chances for it are pretty low. Just goes to show you that it's a good idea to test the board outside the case first.

17. Addis

Addis The King

That makes a lot more sense now.