Need help picking a UPS for my home setup.

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by Aviaf, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Aviaf

Aviaf Geek Trainee

So, I really don't trust UPS selectors on the site of the manufacturer because they cant really take into account everything, they just ask for like 3 things and boom, pick a UPS for you.

I was wondering if someone could suggest a UPS for my specs, it doesn't have to be APC but it should be a reliable brand and have software that can monitor and act in case of problems.

I have:

24 inch HD BenQ LCD Display
    2 external 1 TB hard drives (WD Home premium 2, although only one is turned on at a time if either of them happen to be in use)
    Custom PC:
    750 Watt Corsair Power Supply
    AMD Phenom II X4 940 cpu
    ATI Radeon HD 4890 graphics
    1 Internal 500 GB WD Black HD
    4 GB RAM
    regular other stuff
    1 USB hub powering a wireless network adapter and wireless mouse.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. henry222

henry222 Geek

The issue here, for me, is that the information you provide does not suit the selection-needs for the UPS.
    "Home" set-up doesn't really define it.
    Background FWIW:
    1),There are UPS that run in parallel with the Mains, so these provide enough time to back-up and shutdown...is this your expectation? This is the normal application, I understand, it avoids data loss/crashes etc.
    2), Then there are UPS that will run the PC (even from start) and these need much greater capacity, since at switch-on there is a great demand from the power source.
    3), Such applications as Schools, shops and offices might need to install a massive UPS, even then with a generator to take-over after a minute, say.
    ((Hospitals have their own special needs))

If possible make this operational distinction....then add up the power consumption of each part (Display will give you a steady Wattage figure) - BUT the power for the PC is more difficult, since a 750w PSU is not consuming 750 watts - as you know, this its the maximum power and most folks buy one that's bigger than they need "just in case".
    You can get "Energy monitors" from cheap-stores,(or borrow), they are accurate enough and will give a current/wattage figure - this will help considerably...you may be surprised how much less than 750W it is.

However, if you're on a Budget, you may have to accept UPS that runs for a v.short while. Back-up quickly and don't be tempted to run it to the point where the batteries are stretched....the voltage monitors should shut-down before this...but inevitably manufacturers want their units to show-up good. The quicker you shut-down the better, I suggest.
    A Count-down clock-face and buzzer might be a good electronic-project
    I think it depends on yr budget....and possibly the extent of running that's really essential.

Beware that "Used" UPS will "probably" need new batteries and this may be difficult to source (to fit in the space, etc) - if the Electronics can be shown to be OK, then you can remove the old batteries and rig external batteries of similar type + greater capacity. You need to be very clear they are the same type, though. Some regard for safety will be needed, eg to avoid mishaps years later. Cover exposed terminals, place in a tray to avoid leak-burns etc. etc.

Some more power measurements + aspirations would help...
    + Are ac supply failures regular, caused by storms perhaps?. Here in the UK it is so rare, we take continuous mains for granted; perhaps we shouldn't.

Maybe you will need to adopt a working practice to help yourself. That is when power-outs are more likley.
    I'm trying to be helpful - - - Sorry if this sounds otherwise.

Good luck in yr search.

PS you say UPS manufacturers ask 3 things...what are they, - and what are yr answers...?