Need MS Word or similar

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Exfoliate, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I'm using my dad's school's copy of XP and for some reason it didnt' come with Word. Do any of you know a site I can get Word or a similar program...for free? I looked on Amazon hoping to find a cheap version of word but it was some recent almost $200 version. I've seen MS Works on Ebay for cheap but all I really need is a word processing program with spell check, for my friends new computer actually. Though it may not sound it I do want to be as legal as I can here. Thanks everyone.

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Word is not a part of Windows nor does it come with it. Some OEMs bundle parts of MS Office with their systems, which may be causing the confusion. In any case, go get OpenOffice.org, a free, open-source MS Office alternative. It's a little slower than MS Office because it uses a lot of Java, but it's free and very good quality.

3. Addis

Addis The King

I would never recommend Works to anyone. I've used it twice on 2 different systems and they're a pain because of the awkward works file format.

4. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

I've got Ability Office (old version, got it with computer) on here, works very well from what I've used of it, it does cost but not that much...
    http://www.ability.com/

5. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Ohhh! Thanks, I just assumed a cut down version of word was integrated but I guess I was wrong. Wouldn't really be possible with what they're charging for it now anyway. I asked my dad if he thought the school had a copy and he said probably and he'd look. But if that doesn't pan out I'll definately heed your advice:good:

6. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Cool, yeah I originally thought Windows XP came with a cut down version of Word (when I first got this computer) or something with it but I was wrong, it means MS make more money by selling their software separately from their OS's...

7. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Oooh, just looked unfortunatly Open Office is 78MB's:( So that's not so likely anymore as my downloads usually time out when it gets above the teens. Thanks just the same.

8. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Sorry to hear it dude...
    "Damn you dial-up...."
    *Shakes fist angrily at the sky in an over the top way*

9. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Thanks man, well it will be something to tell the kids about "I remember when I was but a wee lad we had to connect manually at 56k, and did I complain? Of course not, and here you little whippersnappers are fussing over how slow your new-fangled XDSL Uber Edition connection is!"

10. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Yeah...I can picture that actually...

11. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Why don't you get a third party downloading program?

12. Addis

Addis The King

I remember when I first downloaded OpenOffice with dial up, it took me days since I only connected for a few hours at a time.

13. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

if open office is free, cant you just looks for it as a torrent?, then it wont time out, and if it does, you wont loose the download, i never download anything above 100mb using these download managers that are on internet explorer, firefox and AOL, i always use a 3rd party program.

i rememebr when using dial up, took me about 1 hour to donwload just 9mb, now it takes lest than 1 minute, and i complain that 1mb broadband is too slow :p, 120kbps peak.

14. pelvis_3

Lucky souls, i'm still on dialup because i'm too tight to pay for broadband :cool:

15. Willz

hehe, here in the uk, you can get broadband for cheaper than dial up, also, for 512k broadband, max donwload speed, is about 60kbps, its £17,99 but thats with AOL :p

i remember when i was on dial up, i couldent play game online :*(, i either timed out, or everyone voted to kick me for having high ping of 1000 :*(

16. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

I'm on 512kbps because our modem can't handle faster broadband, should really get that sorted, we should have a free upgrade...
    Anyway, Ex, does anyone you know have broadband, maybe they can download it for you and then give you a copy on CD or something...

17. Willz

my router can handle up to 8mbps :\ too bad i can only get 1mb :*(
    ......................................................................................................
    AH, Cant you order a copy of this openoffice thing on cd, and get it posted to you?

18. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Hey, I wouldn't mind doing that.......

I cannot promise lightning-fast service but I can send you a copy.

You can PM me you address if you are interested.

I live in the UK so it might take a week or so.... still.....

19. Willz

Lol, thanks for the offer, but its ex who wants the copy, hmm, is it better than microsoft office even thought its slower?

20. pelvis_3

Being a Windows user for sooooooo long, i like MS Office better as i'm more used to it and had plenty of experience with, but OpenOffice does have it's advantages - ie... it's free :good: