need opinions on my pc spec???

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by IGDIABLO, Jan 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IGDIABLO

IGDIABLO Geek Trainee

I want to know what people think of my pc spec??, please let me know if it seems ok??

300w psu
    Jetway v600 mobo, supports 400 ddr and fsb
    onboard 5.1 sound
    onboard lan
    athlon xp 2000
    512 ddr 400
    geforce fx 5200 128 ddr
    1 x seagate barracuda 7200rpm 80gb hdd
    1 x seagate 5400rpm 80gb hdd
    1 x dvd burner
    1 x dvd rom drive

???????/, what people think???

2. philiptubman

philiptubman Geek Trainee

sounds like you got yourself a powerful PC!! Will be good for gaming and processor/ gfx intensive work!

3. IGDIABLO

IGDIABLO Geek Trainee

thanks mate, i just wasnt sure u see, cos all this new shit that comes out makes me wanna buy buy buy lol, so i think i willl still with current set up for now,

thanks for your repy, :)

4. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

It all depends on what you wanna' do with it.

But first things first. I'd get a good quality psu that's at least 350W. Antec is a good brand, others like sparkle and enermax. I think 300W isn't enough, espcially if it's generic.

Also, I've never used Jetway boards but it's better to get one of the bigger players like MSI, Abit, Asus, Gigabyte etc. because of the quality. You're less likely to have weird problems with these manufacturers. If you don't wanna' spend much, get the Soltek 75FRN2-L . It costs around $80 usd ($100 cad) and is a very good board.

If you're gonna play games a lot, I really suggest you get a better video card, like the 9600 series from ATI (non-pro, pro or XT, but stay away from the SE). The FX5200 is a low-end card which supports DX9 but is not powerful enough to use those features. You won't be able to play the latest games at reasonable frame rates with this card, unless you play in low resolution with most of the eye candy off.
    But if you'll only play rarely or not at all, that card is good enough.

With that sdaid, if you're on a tight budget, the first thing I'd look at is the psu. You're gonna' need a better one.

5. IGDIABLO

IGDIABLO Geek Trainee

iv'e always used jetway boards, and had no probs, as for quality jetway are brilliant, and used world wide!,

and as for psu!!, 300w is more that enough to run any home pc out there, i dont see the point of spending loads of money on a really powerful psu!!!, a pc full of power eating compenents wouldnt even get closed to using 300w, so i think these 400 & 550 watt psu's are crap, lol, check out the link below!!!

http://www.dansdata.com/gz028.htm

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yeah, so long as it's a good PSU, like from Antec, Sparkle/Fortron. Now, he's talking about desktop PC's, so don't apply that as the rule to every PC. (Many serverboards use a slightly different ATX-type PSU that's required for operation and usually come in at 400W or more, but with good reason)

The KT600 chipset that board uses seems to be bad with handling memory, but MSI and Soltek seem to have the best ones available as far as memory compatibility. Though I've had good luck with Via chipsets, the KT600 seems to be a very poor one with most of the reviews I've read. I'd also look at an nForce 2 board if you're going to stay with AMD. If you're open to Intel, the Abit IS7-E is an excellent choice (review coming soon).

Jetway is on the same tier as ECS, PCChips, Amptron, and a few others. They work, but they tend to be boards that don't do as well performance-wise in comparison with the competition. If you want to play around, these aren't the boards to do it with. Their main feature is that they're cheaper than the likes of Asus, Abit, MSI and Gigabyte.

7. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Crap ?
    I know for a fact that a Antec 350W isn't powerful enough for the system I own. I had one, and had issues with it, now I replaced it with a more powerful one and it works perfectly.

I have verified it myself with my own system.

8. IGDIABLO

IGDIABLO Geek Trainee

lol, 300w is more than enough, if you work out the calculations!!, i worked it out with my lecurer at college and he laughed his balls off when he saw the dribble you wrote!, we worked it out and my pc would use 160w at maximum, and as modern psu's use a switching transformer then the psu will adjust it's out put wattage to supply compenents with necessary juice!

9. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

You can make all the calculations you want. You can even try to prove that gravity doesn't exist for all I care.

However, I have verified it with my own system and what you say isn't true. You can believe whatever it is that you want, but it won't stop being wrong.

I'm closing this thread.

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

He's right. I do think that the link at Dan's Data is a very good read, but it's theoretical.
    300W usually is enough, but that's the combined rails, and as Dan also pointed out, not all PSU stickers are accurate. User experience varies from person to person, and each box. I know I go for something larger than 300W just because they tend to have more molex connectors available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.