Need specs for a 1300$ gaming and devleopment PC

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by itkeman, Mar 7, 2014.

1. itkeman

itkeman Geek Trainee

Hi guys!
    My computer has officially died, so I'm in need for a new one. My budget is around 1200$, with a wiggle room of 300$. What I usually do on my computer is:
    • Develop software (the heaviest program I use is probably Visual Studio).
    • Watch HD media (I have two screens: 24' and 19') and listen to music.
    • Do some graphic design using Photoshop.
    • Play games. Now, I'm not a hardcore gamer... I play some Team Fortress 2, and I'd like to be able to play GTA 5 when it does come out for the PC.
    • Run a VM or two in the background.
    There is no need for any part beside the computer itself. I think my only specific request is for the computer to have an SSD drive.
    Thank you very much!

2. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

How many cores you need for virtual machines? To be more spesific, do you need more than 4 cores?

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I concur. That and RAM are probably the biggest concerns here. A socket 1150-based Haswell might be the ticket, but if you need more than a quad-core and/or hyper-threading that moves into Socket 2011 i7's or even a Xeon.

For the SSD, are you looking to this as a the main drive for everything, for software development and/or Photoshop, or something else? I know of 960GB SSD's, but that would eat up a lot of your budget. Going with a smaller SSD (say 256GB or less) for the OS and essential programs and a larger one(s) for everything else would be a way to go. Additionally, there are some drives that feature a small SSD in tandem with a traditional one all in a 3.5" package.

You have a pretty generous budget for the PC itself, but a few more details will allow us to have a better idea on what to suggest for your needs.