Netbook display problem

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by TehGx1100, Nov 15, 2012.

1. TehGx1100

TehGx1100 Geek Trainee

My friend has a Asus Eee PC 1005 PEB, and she gave it to me to fix.

What I immediately noticed was the problem was that the screen did not work. When you turn it on, the screen flashes on very shortly, showing just the blinking cursor line in the top-left corner, and then shuts off. From that point on, the screen stays completely dark with no image on it whatsoever until you turn the computer off and then back on and start this all over again.

I plugged the computer into my external monitor and it worked fine (although the image was positioned very awkwardly so that I could only see about 75% of the actual image). So I narrowed the problem down to either the screen itself or the cable connecting it to the motherboard.

I took the computer apart and tried unplugging the cable attached to the motherboard from the screen and then plugging it back in. This did not change anything. Not sure whether the problem was the cable or the screen, I wanted to narrow it down to just one of them. So I thought I would try plugging the cable into the screen from another laptop. This also did not work. In fact, after doing so, I couldn't even get the computer to turn on anymore. I pressed the power button, the blue power light went on, and then the computer shut off.

The only way I was able to get the computer to turn on again was by unplugging the screen cable from the motherboard. So the current state of the computer is that it only works when that cable is not plugged into it. It doesn't matter whether the other end of the cable is plugged into the screen or not; it just can't be plugged into the motherboard.

So I'm wondering....Am I correct in thinking that the problem is either with the screen, the cable, or both? What might have happened when I plugged the cable into another screen that caused the motherboard to hate the cable forever?

I would like to know what I can tell my friend to have replaced - the cable, the screen, the whole computer? If anyone has any wisdom on this subject, I would appreciate it very much.

Thank you

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

It is either the screen Or the onboard video .....