Network Problems

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by joemotfc, Sep 9, 2005.

1. joemotfc

joemotfc Geek Trainee

Hi,
    I Was Wondering If Anyone Could Help With Networking Probs.
    I Can Get Both Computers To Recognise Each Other And Share Files And Print But I Can't Get Onto The Net With Other Computer.
    Both Computers Are Runing Win Xp And Are Through A Switch.
    I Have Went Onto The Network Connections For Internet To Share And Are Already Shared.

Would Appreciate It If Someone Could Help.

2. ThePenguinCometh

ThePenguinCometh There is no escape

How are the computers physically configured? Does the main computer connect to the 'net directly via a modem?

3. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

also check a firewall is not preventing internet sharing and that the second computer is set up to connect through another computer...

4. joemotfc

joemotfc Geek Trainee

YES, THE MAIN COMPUTER CONNECTS TO THE NET VIA A MOTOROLA SURFBOARD MODEM.

5. joemotfc

joemotfc Geek Trainee

I HAVE CHECKED THE MAIN COMPUTER AND IT IS SET UP WITH A FIREWALL BUT THE BOX THAT ALLOWS OTHERS ON NETWORK TO USE THIS CONNECTION IS TICKED AND AS FOR THE OTHER COMPUTER BEING SET UP TO CONNECT THROUGH THE MAIN COMPUTER, THE NETWORK CONNECTIONS PAGE IS ONLY SHOWING UP ONE NETWORK AND THAT IS THE LAN FOR CONNECTING THE TWO TOGETHER AND AS I SAY I CAN SHARE FILES AND PRINTERS WITH THE MAIN COMPUTER WHICH WOULD SAY BOTH COMPUTERS ARE TALKING TO EACH OTHER.

6. ThePenguinCometh

ThePenguinCometh There is no escape

My best guess is that you need to alter the second computers routing tables in order for it to know how to access the 'net. Let's assume that your ISP address is 80.80.80.80 and your main computers IP address as assigned by the ISP is 200.200.200.200. What you need to do, I think, is type the following command on the command line: "route add 80.80.80.80 200.200.200.200" and then set 80.80.80.80 as your gateway on the second machine. I'm not entirely sure that that will work but it's worth a try :)

Let me know if that works or not.