never guess what

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by gaz2374, Oct 5, 2006.

1. gaz2374

gaz2374 Geek Trainee

iv totally ballsed it up had ubuntu on and was trying to get the nvidia driver from the restricted thing and i rebooted and i have to sort it out but cant anyway . think its too much effort for me at the mo trying to learn and understand it so how do i remove it all from within windows and get rid of grub so my pc boots up into xp like it used to. as when i deleted kubuntu before i put ubuntu on last night it tried to boot into grub buas as it was deleted it came u with error17 and wouldnt oot to anything . thats why i had to put ubuntu on. just need to get it back to how it used to be guys.

thanks all

2. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

How can you give up before you've barely started? :doh:

3. gaz2374

gaz2374 Geek Trainee

i no but its gave me a head ache allready and im going to have to spend some time on the comp learning about it which i dont have any of .

so how can i get rid of it all.

thanks for all the help though.

4. Milanche

Milanche Geek

U must close x to install nVidia owners' driver. I think that command for that is 'killallx' or something like that...

5. megamaced

Although it pains me to give instructions on removing Linux, here they are :(

1) Go into Windows Disk Management and remove the Linux partition
    2) Boot from your Windows XP installation CD and choose 'Repair'. Then choose 'Recovery Console'.
    3) In the recovery console, type:

Code:
    fixmbr

6. kenji san

kenji san Geek Trainee

Fix the master boot record in windows and that should overwrite grub. For the time being, you have a good looking boot screen! :p

On a side note, installing the nvidia drivers should not have been your first task. Better to play around with the liveCD and get to know the system before you bungle your MBR. Then when you do install read the wikis, docs and how-to's before you do anything potentially dangerous. Learning any operating system takes time and motivation. If you decide that you want to get into linux or BSD at a later date, I recommend getting a few good books on the subject and reading them thoroughly before you dive in. Then you know what to expect and have references to fall back on when things go wrong. Good luck.

7. Milanche

Milanche Geek

Onlz a dork can remove Linux!!!

8. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

If your background is in Windows, a UNIX-like system is a major change of mindset and will require a learning curve. If you don't want to learn and grow with your knowledge of computers and technology, Linux is definately not for you.

That said, if you don't like Windows and don't want to learn Linux, maybe you should consider buying a Mac? They're more stable & reliable than Windows, and though they are based on a UNIX system, the unixy parts of the OS are well hidden from the average user. Expensive, yes. But the learning curve is much more shallow than that of Linux or BSD, and it is much better technology than Windows nonetheless.

9. gaz2374

gaz2374 Geek Trainee

thanks guys i dont mind learing i just dont have the time to do so as im only on the pc and couple of hours aday max.

iv seen somewhere you can get the grub to hide so it boots up in xp as normal unless u pres ESC at the right time on the boot screen. this is a good idea so if my xp goes down hill like it probably will do i can still use my pc if i need to.

10. kenji san

kenji san Geek Trainee

Does GRUB boot windows ok? If so then there really isn't any reason to get rid of it. It's just an extra step to boot and it doesn't hurt anything.

11. Milanche

Milanche Geek

GRUB boots windows normally.

12. gaz2374

gaz2374 Geek Trainee

yeah it boots fine. but now cos i tried to do the nvidia drivers it just loads ubuntu into the command promt cso it errors about graphics.

13. megamaced

Okay, well boot into the Ubuntu command prompt and type:

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Scroll down the text file until you find:

Code:
    driver: 'nvidia'
    Replace 'nvidia' with 'nv'

Then press 'CTRL+X' then 'Y' then 'Enter'. Then type:

Code:
    startx

14. gaz2374

gaz2374 Geek Trainee

and that will stop it from not having graphics next time it loads.

15. Addis

Addis The King

It switches back to the generic nv driver which shouldn't give you problems.

16. Milanche

Milanche Geek

My advice is not to delete Ubuntu.

[ot]Sorry for off-topic, but Addis, are u really 16 yaears old?[/ot]

17. gaz2374

gaz2374 Geek Trainee

oh right iv reinstalled it so its ok again now.

18. Milanche

Milanche Geek

I wish you luck with Linux. Don't be afraid from it, it's a cool OS and much better than Windows is...

19. Addis

Addis The King

[ot]Yep.[/ot]

20. gaz2374

gaz2374 Geek Trainee

sods law my windows is now playing up . when i boot up i have in installer that keeps loading but wont install or cancel and when i try to uninstall the pcguard(program responsible) it says some files are missing so cant uninstall. whats going on

also i think il be totally on linux once i get my head round it . so is there any good firewalls antivirus that work on ubuntu also anywere i can learn to do things simply without reading loads of text to do the easiest of things.

if i can get all my hard drives working and nvidia drivers sorted then im on my way to useing it more often but i havent got a clue were to start