new computer, temp

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by dtheman, Mar 4, 2005.

1. dtheman

dtheman Geek Trainee

Just got new computer and the temp reads 55 C, cpu fan 2185 rpm what should be the ideal temp.

Running
    pentium 4 3.0ghz (intel cpu fan)
    848p-a motherboard
    raid max cobra 822 w case
    two fans on the back and side

if its running too hot any tips to cool would be appreciated

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

It's a little hot, are you using the retail heatsink? You could purchase some Arctic Silver5 thermal compound and that will bring you down atleast 3, but I've found it to bring me down around 5 degrees and on a 2.8ghz Prescott system of my friend's it went down 12-15 degrees :-O

3. dtheman

dtheman Geek Trainee

Retail heatsink, I have some thermal compound but never have use it any tips

thanks

4. ninja fetus

I would put a very thin layer on the CPU's IHS (Integrated HeatSink) That piece of aluminum cover the actual CPU Die on Intel's P4 line. Just put a very thin layer covering it, mount your heatsink fire it up and report the temp again!

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

One thing to add: remove the thermal pad---or what's left of it---from the cpu IHS and the heatsink and then clean both surfaces with some isopropyl alcohol and let them dry before adding the thin layer of thermal paste. Do NOT glob it on or the paste will act as an insulator---the opposite of what you want.

6. dtheman

dtheman Geek Trainee

The temp went down about 5 C thanks

do adding more case fan help I space for 4 case fan in the front also should case fan in the front blow into the computer or out since the back fan blow out

thank for the tips

7. ninja fetus

5C is a start, if you Get Arctic Silver 5 it will drop even more.

You don't need any case fans unless there is air not moving about in your case. If you have 2 fans in the back you should be fine depending on how much air they move.

You want back to be exaust fans, front to be intake fans, side panel or window fans to be intake, and top fans to be exaust. You want air to move to the back and out of your case.

So just leave the fans in their current position.

If you want to buy some fans, http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-150-037&depa=0
    pretty cheap and reasonably quiet.

I would advise buying an all copper heatsink/fan though.