New CPU is ....slow

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Fl3wk, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Fl3wk

Fl3wk Geek Trainee

I got my PC back from the computer shop last week because my CPU fried and I needed both a mainboard and a new CPU. I had to buy the Intel Celeron 3.2Ghz, and what a disappointment. In call of duty 2 I used to get 40 - 100FPS and in World of Warcraft I used to get 25 - 40FPS but now I get 15 - 25FPS in Call of Duty 2 and only 6 - 15FPS in World of Warcraft.

I also experience general PC slow downs and prgram crashes more often now and also if I have more than say 3 or 4 items on Start-up it will be at a frozen point for about 5 minutes.

Is it something to do with settings and maybe compatability issues, or does my CPU just stink?

I used to have a Intel Pentium 2.2Ghz, which ran fine for all games up to this day.

Nvidia Geforce 6600GT 128mb
    1GB RAM

2. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

It's unlikely that even a Celeron would cause a 5 minute lockup upon reboot. You may be suffering from a badly configured system. Download and install CCleaner & run the registry cleaner. Report back and let us know if this solves your problem

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Do you know if the new motherboard had the same chipset as the old one? The reason I ask is that if the chipsets are different, Windows tends to have trouble if the motherboard is swapped out from under it. While you can uninstall all old devices, if you didn't, you may end up with even more confusion trying to run a new chipset under the hood.

How did the CPU fry? Was it because of heat or something else?

4. Fl3wk

Fl3wk Geek Trainee

Thanks.

I will try that CCleaner. It only does the lockup if it has a few tasks to do when it starts up.

My system was not booting properly and I took it to the PC shop and they said it was my CPU and that it stopped booting altogether.

I had a fresh install of XP and a format ofcourse.

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Okay, just wanted to make sure of things. See how CCleaner goes and let us know...I may have to try it myself.

6. Fl3wk

Fl3wk Geek Trainee

All it does is clean up and delete all the broken shortcuts, cookies, and other things like registry keys. Because my PC was slow from almost the beginning it didnt really change much.

7. UnSeEn

UnSeEn Mayor McCheese

Trying downloading new drivers for it, that seems to help with most apparent hardware issues. It's unlikely that it's anything in the registry or something like that. The symptoms that you're stating wouldn't happen if that were the case. Yeah, download new drivers...

8. Fl3wk

Fl3wk Geek Trainee

Its really starting to annoy me because I cannot even play movies without the sound coming before the video visual, which destroys the emotion in the film. This CPU really stinks.

9. UnSeEn

UnSeEn Mayor McCheese

If worse comes to worse, format the system, get back the operating system of your choice, reinstall all needed drivers, and start again from scratch. I know it's annoying, but it might help you out. Obviously, something is wrong, and a complete format might be just the thing.

10. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

If you've been on the internet alot without protection you may have gotten a bad boy virus or two etc. + some serious spyware perhaps which can be helped with AVG free and Spybot Search and destroy. If that's not the case just try what UnSeEn suggested. Make sure you've got those drivers. And I mean all of them, current BIOS version, current video card driver, motherboard drivers, and anything else you have a disk for. See what you can come up with.

11. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Celerons, regardless of clock speed are pretty appauling for gaming, especially games like COD2.

The CPU will be bottling the system no doubt, and I would predict little to no change if you reinstall windows xp. Of course, it's worth a try :)

12. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

An insufficient power supply could also explain many of the symptoms you are experiencing. What make/model is your PSU?

13. Fl3wk

Fl3wk Geek Trainee

The computer shop workers are experts in their trade, I doubt they installed my CPU/drivers wrong since they do 100's a week.

I am going through various Tweaking guides and I will free up some system resources this way.

I have atleast 3 years experience with my own PC and 4 years more with School computers (which isnt much but the internet), so I do know how to maintain my PC. I hope this doesnt sound like I was offended, nope, just saying what I forgot to mention.

I use all the latest and greatest software (dunno what those government guys use *rolls eyes*) so i think I am safe from mere viruses, well as safe as anyone can be with a firewall.

14. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Believe me when I tell you that this is not necessarily true. For example, I was recently contracted to consult with a fairly large computer company in southern California which has thousands of regular clients. They hired me in to point out what they were doing wrong and where they could improve. My list was very long.
    I do not think the symptoms you are experiencing could be explained by a misconfigured system, unless it was severely and grossly misconfigured. So, back to my original question: what make and model is your PSU?
    Most government agencies use NAV, though it's not very good at all, but regardless there is no "perfect antivirus". The problem with software like antiviruses and anti-spyware tools is that it is a losing arms race. They cannot detect and remove virii / spyware / malware until it has already been caught in the wild, meaning it's been out there for a while. In other words, if your operating system has an inherant design flaw so severe that it is vulnerable to virus infection in the first place, no amount of extra software can completely protect it.

15. harakim

harakim Big Geek

"If you've been on the internet alot without protection you may have gotten a bad boy virus or two"
    I couldn't help but laugh at this. :)

16. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

I'm sorry, but I just don't buy that. I've got a Celeron 2.8GHz, and it runs very well. I think he is suffering from a software related problem, rather then a hardware related problem.

Is this computer a custom build or a pre-built manufacturer's PC? If the former is true, I would definately look into the PSU. If the latter is true however, I think he has a problem with Windows.....

17. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Yeah I wouldn't worry about your processor speed wise. Unless it's defective, which it pretty much couldn't be you should be better off than you were beforer. I mean sure the L2 cache has been cut in half but a 1GHz speed difference is more than enough to compensate, game wise at least.
    Could you let us know the make, model, and spec of your PSU. There should be a little sheet of paper on one of it's sides. Under 12v you should get a rating like 18A or something.

18. lowIQ

lowIQ Geek Trainee

ppl in smal pc building shops try to get more money out of u ect i did my reserch online whent to a pc shop to see what the price would be ect and it came to over 100 pounds more and worse componets so i would not just take forgranted what your told in a shop to be true.
    as some 1 already said b4 ur psu and chipset could both cause your new cpu to work poorly id suggest posting the make and model of the bord and cpu or swiching back to your old cpu and try to get a refund on the 1 you are currently having problems with.