New graphic card

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by harrack52, Jun 19, 2003.

1. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I've got a new job, so of course the first thing I'll do with the money is buy computer parts :D

the first step will be to kick out that GF2 MX400 out of my system.

I had my mind set on a GF4 Ti4200 128mb OEM (so I don'T know the brand, until the card is actually bought), which I could have for $180 cad.

But I'd spend more money if it is money well spent.

I've seen a 9800(non-pro) 128mb for $115 cad on the website of a local store, of course, I assume this is a mistake ( :sad: )

Would it be worth the extra $60 cad to get a Ti4800SE ?

If so, what brand ? there's ASUS (TD si written on my store's website, but only TVD si written on asus' website, is it the same thing ?) and MSI ( the TD one) at my local store.
    Is the only difference the overall package ?

Or should I go the ATI route ? Are the drivers that much of an issue ? Some people say they suck, others don't seem to mind, I've never used ATI cards before so I just don't know.
    There's a 9500 np for $210. I'm not sure if it's a built-by-ati or pwered-by-ati. In any case, are the built-by-atis a lot better ?

I'd like to keep it below $250 cad before taxes.

The idea here is either to get the OEM Ti4200 128mb, with which I'll be able to play all the games right now at decent graphics I'm sure (or am I mistaken ?), to keep it for a while and then upgrade to something better later, or to get a more expensive one, and to keep it longer.

I'd like to buy it locally, because I'm more comfortable that way, unless I see an incredible deal on the net.

I'll do some research on my own, but your input is also important to me.

Thanks.

I'll post the same kind of questions in different threads regarding other components, as I will slowly build myself a second system, thus making this one my secondary system, which will run Linux exclusively, with which I'll be able to play/abuse/experience :D , without having to worry about not having a system that's always working.

2. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Ok I narrowed down my choice to those two:

Either the OEM Ti4200 128mb@$180 cad which I'll try to find out the brand, or the ATI 9500 np 128mb@$210 manufactured by Saphire. I think Saphire is a good brand, from what I've read.
    I'll checkout some benchmarks, reviews and comments, and specs to see whether it's worth the $30, or if I can't know for sure the brand I'll get for the GeForce, I'll get the ATI.
    Drivers must not be THAT hard to install. I'll just reinstall xp if I need to.

agp 8x is useless in my case, and I don't think it's worth the extra cash (which is mainly because of the bundle I would guess), so that's why I'm rulling out the Ti4800SE

3. zeus

zeus out of date

Usually the prices of computer parts are the same in $ as in £.

In the UK they sell a Powercolour 9700pro for £220.

I know powercolour is not that popular but it seems to be a great card. The fastest of the 9700pros.

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=Mzcz

I dont know a good place in the US to buy it from but it aint too expensive.

4. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I don't have that kind of money. My prices are all in Canadian dollars. Which means that a card at $220 us , is around $330 in Canada.

I'm looking at cards that would be around $150 us.

5. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I have found out what the OEM is, it's a palit daytona.

6. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

the Ti4200 128mb@$180 should run fine, i have the 64MB version and every game works fine, even on high detail, considering I have sd-ram and a duron processor...:)

7. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Well I'm ruling out the Palit Daytona, but I found a MSI Ti4200 VTD 8x 128mb for $216 cad.
    So the choice is between this and the Sapphire 9500 np.

8. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

People say ati has better image quality, is it much better ?
    If I go with the GeForce, I might throw the extra cash to get the MSI, becuase I read that the palit daytona has slower memory, also on amdmbforums.com , everyone seems to agree that the msi is the best one to get.

I can't seem to find benchmarks for the plain 9500 !
    I'd just like to make the right choice.
    I've also read that you can softmod the Sapphire 9500 np to a pro if it's the black pcb with the memory inlined or to a 9700 np if it's the red pcb with the l-shaped memory.
    It's not a big deal to me since I don't like the concept of ocing but if I decided to, provided the softmod would fail, could it damage the card permanently ?

EDIT: AMDMB certainly has a bigger forum, yet questions are answered more quickly here, plus you're not treated like a ****ing idiot. This is the reason why I like this forum much more. :good:
    ( I censored it myself :p )

9. Sniper

I've also read about the image quality thing, though I think the MSI would be a great choice to go, also looking at your system, you should not have any problems, running games in full detail with good frame rates. I dont tend to concentrate on the benchmarks, image quality, cuz not all games take games take advantage of the features that graphic cards have to offer. It should last you last you a long time...

Note: thx, harrack52 :) we do have a small forum, and it seems to attract the beginners alot more than experts...every one has to start somewhere, we do have a nice response time here (mostly thanks to Big B), though as we get more members and mods, should get even faster :)

10. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Ok so I'll go with the MSI. Either way, I won't be disapointed I know that for sure, and it's gonna' be a GREAT upgrade if you look at what I have now !
    I should have the card in a week.

I think beginners are intimidated on amdforums because sometimes some people over there just treat them like ****, and nobody likes that. There's even a thread on why newbies are so dumb !! It's gotta' be intimidating for someone who's not used on talking on forums.
    And AFAIK, people get their problems fixed just as fast here as some place else.
    More people also mean more ignorants: like the guy who had told me that a case is the most important part in a pc....we all know it's the power outlet ! :p

11. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I'm getting the MSI Ti4800SE VTD8x 128mb after all, for the sole reason that my store has it in stock.

It's my first ever decent card, so I don't mind spending more than I thought I would.

12. Sniper

sounds cool! let us know how it benchmarks on your system :) I'm sure someone might be interested...

hmmm, the power outlet :) lol may the power be with you!

13. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

:)
    I just hope it fits into my new case, because I'm gonna kill someone if it doesn'T !

14. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

If you want DX9 support, you might wanna rethink and look at a 9500/9600 Pro card, since the performance is comparable to the Ti4800 (Ti4600 w AGP 8x support). The prices are also pretty similar as well.

15. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Actually I'll get the Ti4800SE, not the Ti4800, so it'll be a Ti4400.
    On ncix.com , the 9500 pro is $40 more, if I add the shipping, it's too much for me.
    $240 is already a lot.

Will I be able to play Doom III without a DX9 card ?

16. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Ah man !
    MSI GF4 Ti4800SE or Saphirre 9500np ?
    From what I understand, the 9500np is slower but faster with AA and AF on ?
    It's quite cheaper also

17. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

ok I finally bought it, I took the built by ati 9600 pro.
    I made a compromise: paid more for the card but took the volcano 11 instead of the sk-7.
    I even got myself a very nice case with a window and 3 placs for case fans, for just $40 cad.

now I'm going to sleep, I haven't slept since I came back from work, I wanted the card as soon as possible :p

18. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

For what its worth, you'll be able to play DX9 games without a DX9 graphics card. Certain features of the game may not work or slow the gameplay down, but you should be able to adjust setttings to make it run smoother.