New laptop help please

Discussion in 'Mobile Technology' started by Aceofspades12491, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Aceofspades12491

Aceofspades12491 Geek Trainee

Ok so im a sophomore in highschool, and i would consider myself proficient with pcs, but i wanted some opinions about particular laptop i was thinking of buying. This is the newegg link:

Acer AS5102WLMi-MCE AMD Turion 64 X2 ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 Integrated NoteBook - Retail at Newegg.com

Now i wanted somethin with a decent built in vid card cause you obviously cant switch em out too easily. Now buying ram or whatnot isn't much of an issue and im fairly happy with the specs. But how does the video card hold up? i believe its listed as an ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 Integrated. Also, how do the Acer brand laptops hold up nowadays? I've heard some bad things, and some good things about them and was wondering if it'll hold up without falling apart.

Thanks much

2. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

I've just bought the Acer Aspire 5672WLMi-166 (I'm in the UK though) and I can say that from the laptop I got build quality is good. One ofmy friends avoids Acer because someone he knew had a bad experience with them once, but I don't let things like that put me off - if people did then it'd mean we'd be very limited as to what we could buy :p

Upgrading the graphics card on a laptop can be a problem as not all laptops have the option to do it. If the laptop has integrated graphics I'm thinking it'll be even less likely that it'll have the option to upgrade the graphics.

Going with a Dual core CPU is a good idea too, it helps performance when multi-tasking an awful lot.

3. Aceofspades12491

Aceofspades12491 Geek Trainee

Thanks

i just wanted anopinion about it. personally ive heard some things about it, but i didnt want that to stop me from buying it. Is it even possible to upgrade the gfx card on that laptop?