New LCD Monitor

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by Chris_, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Chris_

Chris_ Excalibur

Hi,

It's time for me to purchase a new LCD Monitor as my current 15" "Daytek" CRT Monitor from around '97, is starting to limit my graphics card.

I hope I have a budget of around £180 GBP (Mum's paying ;)) and have already found 3 monitor's from a retailer near me.

Moving on.

19" BenQ FP91GX 4ms DVI Silver TFT Monitor

This look's like the perfect monitor for me, I will be using my new monitor for Gaming & Digital art - so no ghosting or low resolutions for me :p

I believe that the higher the contrast ratio the better. That BenQ is 550:1 so I was a bit miffed to whether it is good or not.

I also found this
    19" Samsung SM940N TFT Monitor 8ms Silver which is sort of stretching the budget, but has high specs.

I will also be using the monitor for films (played on PC) and all-round web surfing etc.

Then there's this 19" Sony SDM-S95AS 8ms Silver TFT Monitor which looks very nice but has 16 ms response time. Will this matter as it is the cheapest?

Hopefully I will be buying the new LCD in under a months time. I only want a 19" monitor (no less, or higher - if in budget).

Your view's please.

My PC specs are in my signature.

Thanks in advance
    Chris

2. Chris_

Chris_ Excalibur

Bump!

Can anyone give me some info/advice or recommendations?

Thanks

3. LORD

LORD Geek Trainee

4. Chris_

Chris_ Excalibur

Thanks for your recommendation, I will add it to my list :)
    But, I might go for one of the higher contrast ratio monitors such as the Sony or Samsung.

5. LORD

LORD Geek Trainee

Try to see a flat screen in action before you buy, the look of the screen can be quite subjective (more so than CRT's). Even if you dont buy from ebuyer have a look at the site. A lot of the products have reviews by customers which are probably less biased than magazine or web reviews. X black or glossy screens are better for watching DVD's because the screens can produce much darker black, but they can reflect badly in bright lights. Might not be a problem at home but bear it in mind if you use the monitor in front of a window.

This Samsung has plenty of good reviews and comes with 700:1 contrast ratio.

ebuyer.com - PCs/Displays » Monitors » .TFT LCD Flat Panel 19" » Product details

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Don't buy any monitor you haven't seen in action yourself. For example: I know a lot of people give Viewsonic a lot of praise, but I've never been that impressed with their displays. Specs are good to give a general frame of reference, but since this is something you'll likely be using for a long time, it would be wholly beneficial to check out any units your interested in.

Personally, I like Samsung displays, although Sony's are generally pretty good---just a tad on the expensive side.

7. Chris_

Chris_ Excalibur

Thanks LORD & Big B for the advice, I will go down to MicroDirect in Manchester to see if they can show me these monitors and then will take it from there. Will probably end up getting a Samsung 700:1 Ratio monitor.

Thanks for ya help. :D