New parts to replace those destotyed by psu

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by Ashton, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Ashton

Ashton Geek Trainee

My 4-year old psu finally blew. What I didn't expect was for my old hard drive, and my new optical drive to do the same.

Do you think I could get warrranty for the video card, which shows rows and rows of random coloured pixels when I try to use it, and the optical drive which doesn't even power on? If I was given store credit I could re-buy the optical drive black, and get an 8600 GT, or I wouldn't mind getting them replaced with the same thing.

This is the new Hard drive I'm getting:
    http://www.samsung.com/global/busin...up=&type=61&subtype=64&model_cd=259&ppmi=1156

And the power supply: (I'M NOT MAKING THE SAME MISTAKE TWICE)
    Umart Online Store

And it's Ironic because I was going to get a new power supply in afew weeks out of fear :doh::doh:

Another thing, as soon as I plug my hard drive power cable in, the psu switches the power off. Any way to recover the files off it? (I don't desperately need anything much from it, just heaps of downloads I had and stuff *cough cough cough* were on it, wouldn't really care If I can't or have to spend money over it)

2. Pimp

Pimp Captain of USS Defiant

Stuff hay, wink wink nudge nudge lol

anyways the hard drive you chose is really good i have used Samsung in the past and they are really good at making hard drives.

Also the PSU you picked is also really good and have you thought of getting a thermaltake PSU they have done really well these few years, you could get the though power series might be cheaper then the Cooler master.

I think you won't be able to claim warranty on your GPU because i think it would be considered to be your fault for putting a bad PSU and not a faulty part on the GPU, if that makes any sense lol. Why not try and look at your warranty and see what it says also contact the manufacturer, don't say your PSU fried it lol just say it stopped working.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

That's fraud to claim something happened that didn't. Additionally, if he sends it in and they discover otherwise, they may refuse it. Do not suggest lying about what happened again.

If it's within warranty, it's worth checking out. Some companies will fix that type of thing, but it depends on the warranty.

Best thing to do is check with the store and see what policies they have. Most stores seem to stop after a 30-day period and then direct you to the manufacturer. They may do the RMA work for you for a small fee, but that really depends on the store.

4. Ashton

Ashton Geek Trainee

I'm also thinking of buying this thermaltake psu:
    Umart Online Store
    Because I have an antec Nine Hundred, I need a psu that includes very long, and farily thin cables, seing they will be going nearly 40cm around the back before being plugged into the right place (except 4-pin and 20-pin)

Sapphire Technology - warranty
    Saphire doesn't really say "Product destroyed by a crappy 250w psu" on their list. Suppose I wouldn't mind it being fixed for a fee.

5. Pimp

Pimp Captain of USS Defiant

OK fair enough :(