New PSU, 4 pin connector, melty smell. :|

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by asdf, Jan 23, 2008.

1. asdf

asdf Geek Trainee

Today my psu crapped out, so I ran out and bought a new one. I plugged in the 20+4 pin connection to make sure that it would actually start the fans up, and there wasn't actually a problem with the socket.

Things worked, fans fanned, lights lit, et cetera. But, when gearing up to get everything plugged back in, I plugged in the other 4-pin connector to see if I could get into the bios with the onboard VGA before getting everything stuck back together.

A slight fizzly sound came from the region of the 4-pin connector when I hit the power button, and I immediately pulled the cord and turned the psu off. No smoke, but that nasty stank of burned electronics wafted up from the area.

My question is not really whether my motherboard is effed (I am pretty sure it is :( ) but rather, why would this have happened? There's nothing around to have shorted anything near there, and nothing has moved... It should have worked just like before the other psu died, no?

Note: Yes, I am positive that I didn't try to put the 20+4 4-pin dealyjig in there instead (doesn't even fit, I would imagine).
    Also, when I don't have the 4-pin connector in, power comes on just fine (but no boot of course), but when I put it back, the power doesn't even come on.
    Also, active pfc, so no 115V/230V toggle.

What's going on? :(

(Edit) New PSU is Antec TruePower Trio 550, motherboard is Biostar AM2 gf6100 chipset. Didn't think that info would be relevant, but just covering bases(/Edit)

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

What happened to the previous power supply? You said it crapped out, but what specifically entailed in its demise.

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

the fizzy sound was probably from two or more conductors not making a good electrical connection with each other, try disconnecting it and reconnecting it & see what that does

4. asdf

asdf Geek Trainee

It turns out that there was a brownout, which is why the original PSU "crapped out", and I rushed out and bought the new one. When I got back with the new one, I tested the old one and it still didn't work... new one did though, I guess because of active pfc? Anyways, The old one works, and took the new one back.

My fear was just that I would buy a new motherboard, and then this 4-pin connector would turn out to be messed up somehow, and would fry the new one as well.

Now that the old one works, I suppose this is "solved".

And, @Donkey: I tried many many combinations of disconnecting and connecting, didn't do a thing... which is why I suspect brownout.
    Also, the fizz sound came from the backplane, as did the smell.

Anyways, no more need for assistance :) Even though I still have no idea what happened...

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

sorry, but, a bad electrical connection may also have explained thing, however, not this time, but, glad you fixed it