New Stuff

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by harrack52, Sep 23, 2004.

1. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Due to a fortunate turn of event, I was offered a significant upgrade for my system....for free :)

So I got myself an MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum, Athlon64 3500+ and some Corsair Twinx 2x512mb PC3700PT (still waiting for the memory to be shipped - B/O)

I haven't had time to play with it fully but when I compress/decompress files, I see a HUGE difference.

Up until now I don't have any problems whatsoever. Also, the board came with round cables (1 IDE and 1 Floppy) and 4 SATA cables, along a bracket w/ 2 usb ports.

I'm using the stock heatsink for now and I love the way it's made. It's much easier to setup than the AthlonXP heatsinks. No need for scew drivers anymore, you just need to place it and push the clip with your thumb.

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

thats a nice new rig dude! you should be able to catch up to B when F@H?!?!

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yeah, he probably will, at least if I'm only using one rig to fold, but it'll be a little while. I am surprised you didn't get the Soltek SL-KANE2-RL tho, considering how you like Soltek.

4. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

For me to catch up with B, he would have to fold with only 1 rig for quite some time, as I gave my old one (soltek board, cpu and memory eventually) to my father, so I only fold with one.

As for soltek, I actually did not even consider them. Since I could choose the parts, I decided to go with the Socket 939, and Soltek only makes S754 boards. I went with S939 because of DC capability and the assurance that it'll stay for a while. It'll support next FX cpus as well, which are much too expensive for now.
    For instance, the AthlonFX-53 costs the same thing as what I just bought:eek:

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yeah, them is kinda pricey right now. The only thing I'm looking at right now for upgrades would be a GeForce 6600GT or Radeon X700 series in AGP format.

6. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I received my memory and couldn't be happier with it. It passed all the tests of Memtest86 @ 2-2-2-6 (400mhz). Will try 2-2-2-5 later.

7. horatio

horatio Geek Trainee

That sounds like a sweet system.