newbi needs HELP!! dead laptop

Discussion in 'Mobile Technology' started by oldbull, May 14, 2008.

1. oldbull

oldbull Geek Trainee

Hi all. a friend of mine (who is even more computer iliterate than myself!:x: ) came to with a compaq presario laptop, running windows xp, an intel centrino and 1 gig of ram, the machine is 18 months old and has just stopped:eek: it was working one day, not very quickly but working, then it stopped. if you press the power on, the fan starts, then stops after 1 second and the power light flickers and goes off, can you help? regards oldbull

2. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Try removing the battery completely, then power up the laptop

3. oldbull

oldbull Geek Trainee

Hi, thanks for the response, have removed the battery and tried to start machine, the problem is still there, regards oldbull

4. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

does it do anything when it is turned on ?It could be the screen went dead or the power supply or in the worst case a dead motherboard.

5. oldbull

oldbull Geek Trainee

Nothing happens when i turn it on, the power light flickers and goes out, and sometimes the fan comes on but only for a second

6. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Its probably finished.

Laptops are nutoriously difficult to troubleshoot so I'd recommend that you send it back to the manufacturer if its still under warranty.

7. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Megamaced is right, There could be a number of things wrong with it.
    It sounds like it got hot and blew something out. Too check the monitor, hook up and external monitor to see if it will work. if that doesn't work then it could be bad ram or MOTHERBOARD..

8. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

My Acer laptop had the same problem after 3 weeks. Acer had to replace the motherboard and Hard Drive. :(

9. oldbull

oldbull Geek Trainee

Ok, thanks everyone, i think i will have to send it in....Cheers

10. mattireland

mattireland Geek Trainee

Yes, but that is an Acer :( Acer are pretty notorious for that sort of thing happening.