Newbies guide?

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by shortcake, Dec 14, 2006.

1. shortcake

shortcake Geek Trainee

HI all

Just wondered if anybody knows where i can get my hands on a basic guide to Kubuntu? (I mean very basic, as in tell me exatly what to click and when to click it :O )

I am not getting on to well. Have run into loads of problems, and to be honest i don't have a clue how to anything on there. I feel like such i prat :doh:

I Have a long list of questions but before i ask you guys i would rather see if i could fix them myself without bugging you.

I have had a look at the stickys but even alot of that stuff goes over my head.

Thanks alot :O :x:

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

just ask, if i think back, i've asked some stupid questions myself (and still do) no question is a stupid question, cos if you don't know something, you don't know

how else are you going to learn, just ask

go ahead, ask

3. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

I have not come across a basic guide book for Kubuntu - but here's a link for an Ubuntu guide book.

Amazon.co.uk: The Official Ubuntu Book: Books: Benjamin Hill,Jono Bacon,Corey Burger,Jonathan Jesse,Ivan Krstic

I understand that Ubuntu is pretty much the same animal as Kubuntu - the main difference being that Kubuntu's default desktop is KDE and Ubuntu's is GNOME.

The KDE desktop seems to generally be preferred to GNOME as it it said to be more powerful (I would go along with that thought).

In any event - just ask on here if you have questions. Remember - everyone has to learn! They're a great bunch on here and will always be happy to help if they can.

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

thats the only difference, bassically if you uninstall Gnome from Unbuntu and install KDE, Unbuntu becomes Kubuntu, and i presume if you replaced KDE with Gnome on Kubuntu, Kubuntu would become Unbuntu

Edit: I prefer KDE too

5. shortcake

shortcake Geek Trainee

Thanks DavidNW for the book Link. Might have a look into getting that.

I think the problem with me is, if it doesn't work first time, i loose patience. ( I think that's why me and Windows don't get on to well)

If i go back later on i can usually fix it lol

So as Donkey said i should do i will list the problems i am having. Please help if you can guys but i accept that i can be quite annoying lol

So...

In windows you have a device manager where you can check if you have upto date drivers. Is there something like this in Kubuntu? I think this would solve alot of my problems like my CD's not playing and also working out how to set the printer up.

I don't understand about all the commands. I understand i can type " kdesu kopete " in the run command to run Kopete. But i don't understand much about running things in the other one. The terminal sessions i think?

I also don't understand the levels of access. Like Sudo and things like that?

Also somewhere along the line i would like to install the Beryl stuff with the effects. But at the moment running before walking comes to mind ;) Also i think that that would tie in with the drivers section to make sure i have got the correct ones.

One last thing until i think of some more. I dont have a clue how to download things. I think they download fine but installing them is another matter. I cant even play my Penguin game on here that i love due to me not having a clue how to install adobe player!

Thanks guys for helping me out. Would not of got this far without you :D

6. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Okay, let's start with some basics. Above all, don't try to rush yourself learning all - because you won't. I'm a complete newbie, so canonly give you limited advice.

However, take one thing at a time and just ask as you go - people on here will only be too pleased to help if they can - remember that!

A good starting point would be to check out this thread:

http://www.hardwareforums.com/getting-most-x-k-ubuntu-6-06-a-13488/

It will give you information about setting-up your software repositories. Once these are set up, downloading and installing programs is a breeze via the package manager which you should find on your desktop under "Applications".

You should easily be able to install Adobe player by the aforementioned method once you have set up your software repositories. So, once, again, check out the link and get those repositories set up (if you have not done so already). Your install of Kubuntu probably came with a 'default' repository list and would, of course, have allowed you to download and install programs. However, the repositories mentioned in the above link are likely to be far more extensive and will provide you with a great choice of various programs.

Good luck!

7. shortcake

shortcake Geek Trainee

I am going to have a go at that.

Am i right in thinking if that goes ok i have to add to that every time i make changes?

8. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Hmmmmm, that's a strange one. I just typed the code:

kdesu kate /etc/apt/sources.list

in a terminal window, was asked for my password, put it in, and up popped the repository list!

Okay, let's try this another way:

Type: sudo su

in a terminal window - hit return, then type: kdesu kate /etc/apt/sources.list

Hopefully the repository list should pop up for you (well, just tried it and it did for me!)

Note: the repository source list should pop up in a seperate window.

EDIT: your post saying you got an error when you typed in the code for the repositories source list seems to have gone from view - hence the above reply by me.

9. shortcake

shortcake Geek Trainee

I have rebooted and now it opens up.

Before i was getting the error but no Kate.
    Strange :p

10. shortcake

shortcake Geek Trainee

Well i am getting somewhere!

Its installing and updating as i type :)

11. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

:good: That's what we like to hear!

12. shortcake

shortcake Geek Trainee

Well i am not getting faith again.

I have installed Gaim (Was told to do this in another thread)
    Firefox and Thunderbird
    And a torrent downloader! Woohoo go me lol

How do i find out if i have the latest drivers for my graphics card? (NVIDIA GeForce4)

13. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

14. shortcake

shortcake Geek Trainee

Do i have to add them to the end of what i copied over before?

15. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

I think that's basically it - that's how I would see it. However, you might want to pose the question in a seperate thread to be absolutley sure, as I've not added to a source list file yet.

I suppose, in any event, if the code you copy over for the drivers does not work - you can always edit it out and save the changes, then you're source list file will be back to how it was.

16. shortcake

shortcake Geek Trainee

Well it seems to have worked. I checked over the source file and made it the same format as the rest :)

Cheers for the help :D

17. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

WTG!! :good:

18. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

You should look at the 'Links' section of the 'Getting the most from Ubuntu' thread. You will find links covering installing multimedia codecs, software installation, windows file sharing and 3D beryl effects.

19. Addis

Addis The King

There are 2 main levels of access in a Linux system. A normal user and the root user.

A normal user is the user account you use to log in at the login screen. This user has limited privileges, they can run most programs but cannot make system wide changes (more specifically, they can't make changes outside their home directory, which is a bit like the Documents and Settings/yourName folder in Windows). The default home directory is /home/username. This is the place where all your personal settings are stored. E.g. when you add a new firefox bookmark, then the changes are written to a hidden folder /home/username/.mozilla.

The root account is the administrator account. This account has privileges to do about anything they want. This is used for system administration, and if you're not careful with it you could end up breaking your installation. That's why you run as a normal user for day to day tasks (you can't screw up system settings that way).

Ubuntu and derivatives behave differently to normal distributions. I don't like the way they've changed it, but its meant to be more user friendly. Basically, whenever you want to run a program or command as the root user, instead of doing this:
    Code:
    su
    enterrootpassword

you now instead do
    Code:
    sudo command
    to run as root user.

Theres also one thing you need to remember, if you want to run a graphical program as root, then you need to do
    Code:
    kdesu command
    or
    Code:
    gksu command
    You shouldn't use kdesu, gksu, or sudo to run any programs like Kopete or Firefox. They should only be used to run programs when you need root access.

20. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Yeah but using sudo IS more secure then using su. Only one program is granted root access at a time with sudo, whereas su is a permanent administrator login. Sure Ubuntu's implementation of sudo is terrible but with a bit of tweaking the /etc/sudoers file it can be altered.