Next Step - Choose a MotherBoard

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Goliath666, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Goliath666

Goliath666 Geek Trainee

Soo going with Intels Duo 2 Core CPU its time to choose a motherboard to fit.
    going dual on the GPU's also i gotta choose between either ATI's cross-fire or nVidia's SLI. which would benefit best.

these are the options that seem to be in my pricing range the best available

Foxconn 975X7AB-8EKRS2H ATX Intel Crossfire Motherboard - Retail at Newegg.com

ClubIT Product - Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe Motherboard nForce4 SLI Socket T (LGA775) for Intel Core 2 Duo

or

ASUS P5NSLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail at Newegg.com

2. Goliath666

Goliath666 Geek Trainee

anyone??

3. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I'm sure Foxconn make decent mobos, but why go that route when Asus, Abit, DFI, Gigabyte, Intel and MSI can be had ?

The thing is, if you don't plan to oc and if you choose one of the above brands, the deciding factors should be: price, compatibility with your other parts, features, brand preference.

Right now, SLI is more mature than CrossFire, so I'd go that route personally, unless you really want to try CrossFire. With that said, both have their issues.

But to go a bit further:
    Another option would be to get a 7950gx2 which is a single slot SLI solution, with the ability to go quadSLI if you get two, of course. The advantage would be that you don't need to get an SLI mobo with that card(if you get "only" one). It's also the fastest single slot option out there at the moment.

What's interesting with ATI though is their new x1950 CF edition card, which is a x1950xtx CF ready card. The beauty in this is the msrp, which is identical to the non-cf card, so why not get the cf card ? There's no reason not to. It also uses gddr4 memory. The x1950 is actually a cooler, quieter, less power-hungry, faster x1900.
    AnandTech: ATI's New High End and Mid Range: Radeon X1950 XTX & X1900 XT 256MB

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Another thing to consider: if you don't have to have Core 2 right now, if you wait a few months you might see more options available. With AMD buying ATi, I would be surprised if nVidia didn't start allowing SLI on Intel chipsets.

5. Goliath666

Goliath666 Geek Trainee

Thats the Thing with Foxconn, that was the only MOBO that i came across that supported the duo core processor that has the ability for ATI Cross Fire set up. So i asked here maybe someone knew of other mobos that support CF.

7950gx2 is ridiculous i wish i could afford to get Just one of those let alone two to run a quad SLI. but at every model running nearly 500 or more its just a lil bit pricy to spend nearly 1k for a quad SLI. IMO if i was to go the Quad 7950gx2 route, its a lil ridiculous that the GPU's costing more then half of what the whole system cost. 1k for the GPU and another 1k for the rest of the system,

Im not sure which way i want to go, SLI or CF. that is why im seeking advice from everyone to see which one is prefered by other for performance wise. I dont dought that both have their issues but i just am uncertain of which will serve me best.

Big B
    Being that everyone has said that so far the Duo Core outperforms AMD's X2 in many application performances, how would waiting a few month to see what the merger with AMD and ATi is going to present. I dont think a new powerhouse CPU is going to be put out and made available soo quick, with the X2 740 being out.

i dont understand what ur trying to say by that

6. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Also soon I think Intel will release their Quad-Core 'Kentsfield' CPU's soon - in CustomPC Magazine someone's already got a hold of one (Quad 3GHz Cores)

He could only overclock 2 of the cores as his BIOS could only recognise 2 cores but there's CPU-Z screenshots and Windows Taskmanager showing Quad-Cores. This CPU made mincemeat of all of their tests. And it did it on a motherboard that's not designed / optimised for Quad-Cores.

They might be out in like 16 weeks though.

7. Goliath666

Goliath666 Geek Trainee

though that is going to be a beast in all it power that is going to be way way too costly for me.

8. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Well when the Quad-Core CPU's are released, Core 2 DUO won't be king - prices will drop, and Core 2 DUO will be even cheaper than it is now.

That's what I think will happen.

9. Goliath666

Goliath666 Geek Trainee

im sure it will but i dought my current system's will make it will then without another crash, its days are limited and counting down as we speak.

i did a quick little search online and someone already got their hands on the Intel Quad Core CPU at stock speeds with a 7950gx2 it got a 10044 on the 3Dmark06

10. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

DFI INFINITY 975X ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail at Newegg.com
    ASUS P5W DH DELUXE/WIFI-AP ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail at Newegg.com
    Foxconn 975X7AB-8EKRS2H ATX Intel Crossfire Motherboard - Retail at Newegg.com
    MSI 975X Platinum ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail at Newegg.com

Those 4 mobos support both CrossFire and Core 2 Duo processors. Basically, all mobos with the intel 975x chipset will support Crossfire + Core 2 Duo.

Right now SLI is more mature than CrossFire I'm sad to say. But CrossFire has potential. Personally I'd rather have a flagship card than two mid-range ones.

11. Goliath666

Goliath666 Geek Trainee

wow somehow i missed all of those.

soo what does that mean.

and for memory im guess the DDR2 800 supported mobo is the way to go instead of the DDR2 667

12. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

well the problem for me is this: 2xcards = 2xprice != 2xperformance
    DDR2 667 and up is only usefull if you oc, if not, DDR2 533 is the way to go.

13. Goliath666

Goliath666 Geek Trainee

soo you dont like the Crossfire or SLi options ?!?!

14. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

It's just a matter of preference. If you want it go for it.

15. Goliath666

Goliath666 Geek Trainee

but there is an advantage to running dual GPU's though rite.

16. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

17. Goliath666

Goliath666 Geek Trainee

soo between the two then what would you recommend, SLi or CF.

18. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Right now it seems SLI has fewer issues than CF, so I have to recommend SLI.

19. Goliath666

Goliath666 Geek Trainee

soo next step would be choosing a mother board itself.

ASUS P5NSLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail at Newegg.com

GIGABYTE GA-965P-DQ6 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail at Newegg.com

ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail at Newegg.com

Bit Pricy -ASUS P5W DH DELUXE/WIFI-AP ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail at Newegg.com

i like the wi/fi option on the one alrite priced motherboard but still at 220. the first one is alrite but i do like the option for the 8 Sata's connections either interior or exterior for external drives. i already got 2 to put in and prolly gonna add another 2 when i get it soo the P5Nsli would be filled up already.

20. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek