NIC problem

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by wilibald, Dec 14, 2002.

1. wilibald

wilibald Geek Trainee

i have one integrated lan card, which is connected to my broadband modem. the second card is in the PCI slot of my computer, which is connected to a laptop. when i put the pci card in, it said: Found new hardware - Ethernet controller, i installed the network card drivers on it, recognized and installed the card. i tried to access the internet from the laptop, but with no success. i used the wizard to configure my settings, but it still doesnt work. the integrated card connects to the net nicely, but when i hooked the broadband modem to the pci nic, it couldn't connect.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

What OS is on each machine?

3. wilibald

wilibald Geek Trainee

windows xp

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Okay, for the PCI NIC, you'll need to manually check and see if there is TCP/IP installed for it. If you don't have that, you won't go very far. Anyway, right click on your Network icon-->Properties-->[PCI NIC]-->Right click on that--->Properties. On the box that comes up look at the lower portion of it and scroll down in the subwindow. If you don't happen to have TCP/IP, click the install button, select Protocol, and then TCP/IP.

5. wilibald

wilibald Geek Trainee

it has tcp/ip installed

6. wilibald

wilibald Geek Trainee

i took the cable out of the integrated card, windows said that the cable has been disconnected, when i took the cable out of the other card, it didnt say anything...i installed the newest via 4in1 pack, but still nothing...

7. Gondo

Gondo Geek Trainee

Have you tried running the network setup wizard? It will ask if your machine is attached to another machine to access the internet. Which is the one you should choose, if you are not using a broadband router.

Even after doing that, you still need to run the internet connection wizard, to gain access to the NET.

The last step had me pulling out hair on several occasions, because I forgot to run it, and couldn't access the net on the other computer.

XP doesn't have Internet connection sharing in a seperate wizard anymore, as the network setup wizard covers about every kind of connection you can think of.