Nintendo Revolution renamed 'Wii'

Discussion in 'Video Gaming' started by megamaced, Apr 27, 2006.

1. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

For more than a year, Nintendo's forthcoming next-generation video game console has been known by its code name, Revolution. But on Thursday, the company unveiled the machine's real name, "Wii."

The name--which is pronounced "we"--is meant to invoke the feeling of cooperation that comes when people play games together. Further, Nintendo said, the written name is meant to visually conjure up the image of two people standing together.

Story continued at CNET

What do I think? I think the new name is absolutely awful! What a PR disaster! Who's steering this boat? I say 'chuck him overboard'!

The 'Revolution' had a definative ring to it, it shouted 'Nintendo are back'. Oh well... :confused:

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Wii?

WTF?

3. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Yeah the new Nintendo WTF.

Revolution was much better: Wii just sounds like some gimmick that came out of a 'corporate business meeting' where they get a bunch of buzzword loving, suit wearing technophobic inner city business people and they 'brainstormed' to get a "dynamic, cutting edge, <insert a bazillion other meaningless buzzwords and phrases here>" product name.

A-Hem, back to the 'Wii'

I don't like the name.

EDIT: http://revolution.nintendo.com/

4. Addis

Addis The King

"Our product should show that we're going to make a paradigm shift, that that we are different and better."

"We...."

"Excellent, marketing people, note it. Thats the new name for the Revolution."

That is horrendous. All those years of achievement just to blow it. They'll be kicking themselves for not implementing drug testing when hiring marketing staff.

5. megamaced

Haha!

Looks like you better change the name of this forum, B. Perhaps it should be called 'Nintendo WTF' :D

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Wii? Wii?

Yes, I think I'll go take a leak on Nintendo's genius.
    Normally, I'd ask where could I get what they're on, but I'm gonna have to pass on this one. :eek:

7. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Hehe yeah, if B did that he'd probably start taking topless pictures of himse...too late... ;)

8. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Granted I don't really care what it's called so long as it's pretty good but I would never tell my friends I got a Nintendo Wii. I'd still call it the revolution and you can't stop me. I guess Nintendo like likes the 'men of few words approach' with the whole two syllable DS thing and now this. Granted saying I'm playing my playstation doesn't sound the greatest but saying "I'm playing my wii" sounds like hell.

9. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

wow what a poor name! Its awful they should of stuck with revolution!!

10. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Maybe if Nintendo surfs enough forums and blogs they see who hated the name is and change it back. They really should have pretended to have it slip earlier to see what people thought at least, it's not like the name Revolution was ridiculed or anything.

11. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Nintendo: "Wii are smoking crack."

12. megamaced

"Eat, Sleep and Wii"

13. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Ugh, I can see it now. If you ask a girl if she wants to play with your playstation you get a simple yes or no. If you ask a girl if she wants to play with your wii you get a lawsuit or a kick in the groin.

14. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

LMAO

15. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Full Article

Nintendo has tested the satirical skills of the gaming world with the announcement of the new name for its next-generation games console.

The machine, until now code-named "Revolution", has been renamed "Wii".

The new name, pronounced "we", has been chosen to show "that the new console is for everyone", according to Nintendo.

But some die-hard fans are less convinced and a long list of puerile jokes, based on the name, has already appeared on the net.

Just a little news piece from the BBC Tech website.

16. Addis

Addis The King

Remember this day people, it could be the turning point for Nintendo.

17. Fred

Fred Moderator

18. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

:DYeah I saw that a few days ago, gotta love Penny Arcade.

19. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Lmao I love penny arcade they shoul make longer strips though