No More Skipping Commercials?

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Big B, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, if Philips has its way, quite possibly. DailyTech reports that Philips electronics has created a tuner for PVRs that won't skip over commercials and not let you change channels during them.

Philips has announced that it has invented the means to circumvent the skipping of commercials by PVR devices. By using signals embedded in broadcasts, Philips is able to lock a PVR from fast forwarding over the commercial or even prevent a viewer from changing the channel. The technology, says Philips, will stop a user from changing the channel, forcing the viewer to watch a commercial until it was complete. The only problem is that after the commercial is complete, if the viewer changes the channel and lands on a station in the midst of a commercial, the viewer may get locked in. The fact that users may not be able to even change their channels has many furious. Philips admits that this technology may not bode well with viewers.

Really, Captain Obvious? This just has me pissed off.

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

if it comes down to people sat infront of death tubes forced to watch a certain thing then...well...there's not much ordinary people can do about it is there? other than stop watching tv

3. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

This is a joke right?

Aren't we force fed enough adverts already? They are all over the internet, on sign posts, on bill boards, on t-shirts, in phone boxs, on round-abouts, on the telephone and even on bottles of milk! Arrgghhhhh! :mad:

4. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

What the hell! So you can turn over during the show but not in an advert...yeah that makes a lot of sense.

5. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Wow, they deserve to get bombed by terrorists for even inventing that ... but what exactly is a PVR?

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Personal Video Recorder. It's what a TiVo is.

7. ambellina

ambellina Geek Trainee

thats insane. i think if anyone made me sit through burger king's 'big buckin chicken' commercial, i'd shoot them.

8. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Hehe I can't see it being big.

Although saying that we're forced to pay for a TV liscence (sp?) over here ever year for the BBC, and yet they don't ask us what we want to watch, they force the olympics on us without any choice - they do the same with snooker too so I guess the British public are already paying for something that gives them less control. :rolleyes:

9. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Don't know what that is either haha ... Is that one of those things that allow u to do stuff like stop and replay what u're watching right as u're watching without having to record it with a vcr first?

10. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

I think it will increase their sales because everyone will start buying two TV's. So if one gets stuck they can watch the second one. For ex. Movie on one and Music Videos on second....lol