No Network Card at Device Manager / No Local Connection

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by GuiRitter, Dec 10, 2011.

1. GuiRitter

GuiRitter Geek Trainee

Hi everyone.

I just got rid of a big headache that was my old mobo and CPU just to buy another headache with my new mobo and CPU.
    Windows says there are no connections, and if I troubleshoot, it says I should update the network card's driver, but I can't see anything related to the onboard network card on Device Manager.
    If I enable to show hidden items, lots of network related stuff appears, but if I try to update the drivers of these, none will accept the driver I downloaded.
    [​IMG]
    Also, there's no Local Connection at Network Connections.
    The mobo's box and website says that there is an onboard network card, and there is a connector for the cable, and the orange led lights up and the green led blinks at a pulse by second or so.
    Also looked into the BIOS (American Megatrends) and I couldn't find anything explicitly related to the network card. The closest was something like "Boot by network". Anyway I enabled most things which I considered that would be better enabled.

I'm starting to think that there's actually no card in there. Am I right? Please prove me wrong, and tell me how to make the internet work.
    By the way, it's supposed to be connected to an ADSL router (D-Link 500B), which gets signal by a telephone cable. This side works wonderfully, as I posted this from a netbook connected to it.

Specs:
    Biostar H61MLC, full specs here:
    http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=549
    Intel Core i3-2100, 2 Cores at 3.1 GHz each (Task Manager shows 4 cores, hyperthreading?)
    1x 4 GB DDR3
    Supposedly, Realtek RTL8105E
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    nVidia GeForce GT220 1 GB
    Something missing just ask.

Please help, as I'll waste the only x16 PCIe slot on the GPU, which will leave me two x1 slots, and I think it will be hard to find external x1 network cards where I live.

Edit: It's working!

I was waiting for the internet to update Windows to then proceed to install the GPU and games, but I got bored and did the latter first.
    Then the sound started to glitch and I went to the Device Manager to see if I could find something.
    That's where I got surprised to see "Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller" listed under Network Devices without "Show Hidden Devices" checked.
    Successfully updated its driver, followed Windows troubleshooting and the internet started working.

Sorry for troubling you and please close/remove/do whatever you want to do with this thread.