No Power Up, Graphics Card Twitch

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by timmah, Nov 30, 2003.

1. timmah

timmah Geek Trainee

I did a search and couldn't find anything that matched my problem, apologies if i am repeating stuff though.

My Problem

I 'was' running Windows XP on (?)

Asus AVN8X with onboard sound + ethernet
    AMD Athlon XP 2000+
    512MB RAM
    Seagate Barracuda 80 Gig HDD
    Liteon CD R/RW DVD R
    GeForce 4 4400 Ti

All was working well until i decided to back up to a Seagate 7200.7 120 Gig Drive and do a fresh install of Windows, the new drive installed fine and then windows setup opened fine, but i had to go out and left it, arriving home late i decided to leave it until mourning and fell asleep with the 10 Gig windows partition formating. i awoke in the morning to a blue/purple\black screen. not terribly suprised i went to reboot and have another crack at it but found that there was absolutely no response. i observed the power LED on the Mobo and tried again, nothin'. No fanse, no disks, but i did hear a brief and faint sound. on closer inspection i found that if i turned the PSU off and on and then hit the power switch that the fan on the GeForce would Twitch, but that was it.

have a lot of work to do and was relying on that computer being available yesterday, any help would be greatly appreciated.

timmah

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Try a different power supply.

3. timmah

timmah Geek Trainee

The Power LED on the Mobo was on, i tried unpluging the power from the 120 in case it was too much but it made no difference, and it was working fine last night?

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, if something's broke, you're gonna need to find out what that is. And the only good way to do that is process of elimination.

5. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

make sure all the wires are connected correctly, also like big b said, take the hd etc out and put it back in one by one, to try and find out what causes the problem?

6. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Definitely listen to Big B. 'Sounds like a power supply issue to me too. BTW, what PSU brand/wattage are you running in that system?

7. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

what they said !