no power

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by agowing651, May 5, 2005.

1. agowing651

agowing651 Geek Trainee

i have just built a system for someone and it all went together like a dram. i checked all connection before i tryed to turn it on but when i eventually tried it nothing no power what so ever coming through to any component. any ideas. im gonna try a new psu do you think that is the problem? wud appreciate help. specs are identical to my own pc.

2. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

So nothing at all happen? Wow, I got a lot of beeping and it turned out I hadn't connected the molex cable to my video card but you're not getting anything. It may be the PSU, but make sure everything is mounted correctly too. You don't recall any static discharge I hope.

3. agowing651

agowing651 Geek Trainee

i am going to change the psu tonight and see if it is that. i will let u know how it goes and if i have the same problem then will probably ask for help again. im not exactly the luckiest person with pc's lol

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Make sure all of the jumpers on the motherboard are set correctly, and that all power headers are connected. Many motherboards have additional 4-pin, 12v headers and will not function correctly without it.

5. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

AT is so right (as always :)), I screwed up with my jumpers the first time so I had to figure it out with the manual the 2nd, bloody things weren't color coded.

6. agowing651

agowing651 Geek Trainee

i have sorted it now. 2 thins i hadnt done. i hadnt put the jumper for cmos on normal and i didnt put the power switch on the right header(it was late lol). thx for all the advice and help everyone who posted :)