Nocona Xeon/SuperMicro SuperServer 7044A-82R

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Big B, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

File this under "Stuff I want, but can't afford". Jim over @ 2CPU gives this bad boy from SuperMicro a look with lots of pics. I learned that a 760W power supply does exist.

With the last of the 533MHz FSB Xeons, Intel decided to slap even more L3 cache on the processor to help offset the plodding FSB. We see with Nocona, that since the FSB has been increased to 800MHz, the need for all of that L3 cache seems to have decreased. As a result, the Nocona has no L3 cache on-die and has only 1MB of L2 cache at its disposal. The only other notables from the Specs are the inclusion of Intel's Extended Memory64 Technology (EM64T) and of course, PCI Express, which we will touch on in a moment.

While this probably isn't affordable for many of us, who says you can't look at it?

2. Addis

Addis The King

Lol theres lots of stuff that we want but can't afford. Cars, houses, woman, server processors...
    Personally I'd rather get a pair of Opteron 250s but thats just me.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yeah, but you won't see a SuperMicro board with them. SuperMicro and Intel are pretty much joined at the hip...although with even Dell beginning to look at AMD, SM might eventually swing the other way.

4. Addis

Addis The King

Yep theres been a lot of rumours about Dell using AMD for their servers. Rollins said however that AMD didn't have the "capacity" needed for Dell so if anything they may use Opterons.