Noob needs motherboard/cpu guidance.

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by BSRizzle, Jul 19, 2014.

1. BSRizzle

BSRizzle Geek Trainee

I am building a computer for the first time and need some help finding out if this proccecer I want will be compatible with my motherboard.

I went to frys electronics and the store salesman helped me pick out the msi a88x-g43. It had all the ports I needed and he told me that it is compatible with all AMD proccecers. It worked out good because I planned on buying the AMD FX 8320.

I found out later that the motherboard is only compatible with certain types of amd proccecers. ..

So my main concern is, do I have to choose a different type of proccecer or is the AMD FX 8320 going to work with my MSI a88x-g43?

If its not compatible can any of you recommend a good proccecer that is good for gaming and at least 3.5 ghz?

Please bear with me im new to this pc world

2. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

What GPU you have? That motherboard is for FM2+ processors that have integrated graphics. There are also some models with no integrated graphics though.

If you want FX-8320 or good video card, you better get different motherboard.

3. Priyabrata Chakraverti

Priyabrata Chakraverti Geek Trainee

If you want a mother-board compatible with your current choice of processor,
    ASRock 970 Extreme 4 Motherboard is a good choice.

And if you want a processor for your current choice of Mother-board, this is one of the choices you have, AMD A8-6600K 3.9 GHz Quad-Core

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

An 970 or 990FX-based motherboard with an AM3+ socket is what you want. Asus, MSI or Gigabyte are some of the better options. I know ASrock has a devoted following, but I see mixed reviews on a lot of their boards, so I'm not gung-ho about them, but I wouldn't necessarily say to avoid them either. 970 boards are probably more inline as far as price goes with the A88X/FM2+ boards, whereas the 990FX ones are more enthusiast oriented and tend to offer a lot more in terms of onboard extras.