Northbridge vs. FSB

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by wompshmack, Jan 3, 2006.

1. wompshmack

wompshmack Geek

I just wanted some information on how important these are to a systems performance. Im building a new gaming rig, and Im trying not to spend a lot of money on it.You can get a lot of mobos with a ULI or VIA northbridge much cheaper than say, a NF4 northbridge. When I find a deal that has that NF4 northbridge that I want, it usualy has a lower FSB. Depending on the size of my paycheck tommorow, I may have to compromise and get one of the cheaper boards, and not be able to spend like 250$ on a mobo, so I was wondering which of these is more important, and hey, if you guys wanna recomend a mobo combo that would help too. Thx in advance guys.

2. Addis

Addis The King

The limit of the FSB will also limit the type of CPU you can buy. IF you have a mobo with a maximum FSB thats less than that of the CPU you want, then you won't be able to run your CPU at its potential speed. Anyhow you shouldn't be buying motherboards which are too old, get a modern budget one if you need it cheap. That way it tends to be more compatible with a wider range of newer CPUs.

The northbridge is also important, but when you're limiting your CPU its second. The NF4 chipset is high performance and very good coming from a respected and performance orientated manufacturer.

3. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Theres a reason why VIA northbridges are much cheaper: It's because they're :swear: