Notebook DVD-ROM/CD-Writer Failing??

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by brush3287, Feb 17, 2007.

1. brush3287

brush3287 Geek Trainee

Hi - been trying to sort this for some time. Got a Compaq Evo N1020v with DVD ROM & CD Writer Combo & running XP pro with SP2 and latest critical updates. Has been working fine for about 3 years but recently have had erratic results from it. First noticed signs when trying to run CD cover disk - trusted source been subscribing to this mag for about 5 years.
    Have also scanned the system with NOD32.
    What happens, Autoplay is slow to work and sometimes fails. DVD performance is slightly better until I want to change chapters using DVD menu. Basically the system begins to get slower and sometimes locks solid. Doesn't matter if I use IE6 or Firefox, the result is the same.
    Have booted from Win98 floppy and accessed the Win98 CD in DOS is still possible and seems to be less problematic than XP but I still get read errors from certain files.
    This seems to suggest to me that the drive itself is failing - although I have a couple of BSODs saying the BSOD was caused by atapi.sys which is the generic driver for IDE drives including the DVD/CD.
    Is there anything further I can do to confirm that it is the drive or the driver?

If it is the drive anyone know of anywhere in the UK I can buy a replacement as H-P's site talks about prices in excess of £129! - I still need to buy the tools to get the drive out of the case! Cheaper to replace the notebook at that rate.

Thanks for any further tips in sorting this one.

PS
    Forgot to mention that in the event log when the lockups occur that error msgs appear saying "CDROM 0 has a bad block".

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

yeah, i does sound like the drive is dead or dieing

have you thought of add an external USB or Firewire drive

3. brush3287

brush3287 Geek Trainee

will follow up on the firewire option as even all my hub slots are full.
    Thanks

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

have you thought of adding a new USB hub[ot]just plug the new hub into the other hub & everything will work[/ot]

5. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Try and run a CD cleaner CD, you might have some dust stored on the lenses:unsure: and see if it works.

Check DVD Drive Installation Guide -CPQ1500, u jst need a 4face screw driver.

6. brush3287

brush3287 Geek Trainee

Many thanks. The drive really has given up now. I think it might be the step motor which is just not moving the lens assembly properly. So I either need to go for a usb drive or find one that fits mine. Thanks for the link on removing the drive. The real problem I have in this regard is getting the Torx screws out to release the drive in the first place - you need special diameter heads. Also the link you provided isn't geared up to international orders and you seem to have to jump through all sorts of extra hoops to get the products they sell - but thanks anyway it's given me a lead and a little more detective work won't go amiss.