nvidia 8600 series... any good?

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by wompshmack, Jun 30, 2007.

1. wompshmack

wompshmack Geek

I see these up on newegg, DX10 cards for as low as say.. 115 or so. Obviously you're going to spend a LOT more on a 8800, and I was wondering how far ofd a step down the 8600. Now, Im kind of lost as far as ATI cards, as I haven't bought one in a year or two, but I would be willing to get a new ATI card also. I really want something medium-budgety(under 200), and it would be cool if someone could help me with my options here.

2. OnStock

OnStock Geek Trainee

8600 GPU isn't good choise, because its 128 bit. I suggest you taking ATI x1950PRO. It's way better than 8600 GT and even than 8600 GTS.

3. rimmer

rimmer Geek

the G85 and the G86 GPu's are designed for media purposes and are designed to reduce CPU usage on video codecs, and are the best GPu's for that, however I think as far as gaming purposes go, they are between a 7600GT and a 7900GS kind of regeon. I was thinking of getting one and I still am because the rest of my setup doesn't do much output.

Anyway yes, for video codecs and other media uses, it is excellent for reducing CPu load down to 10-20% instead of the over 30% regeon on high end 7 series and 8 series cards, but for gaming, the 128bit memory interface just doesn't hack it.

Hope this helps

4. Dracos

Dracos Geek

add a little bit to your budget and go buy a radeon hd2600xt gemini, will keep you cool over fps results

5. wompshmack

wompshmack Geek

Allright, thanks, this really is a gaming rig above all else.
    How is the radeon 2600 HD as far as gaming is concerned?

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

They kinda blow. Actually, the entire mid-range DX10 card line up kinda blows right now. If you won't be playing DX10 games for awhile and don't want the 2900 or 8800's, kick it DX9 with an X1900/1950 or 7900/7950 series card.

7. OnStock

OnStock Geek Trainee

Yes, i agree. Those mid end DX10 cards aren't good at DirectX9 so automatically it's not worth your choise. 7900 GS is a good choise, but RX1950 Pro is better.

8. jaredc

jaredc Geek Trainee

My buddy with a 8500 card can't even play supreme commander at medium!!!, he only gets like 15 fps at medium... but he says its fine... hahaha. he wasted all his money on a quad core.

DONT BUY 8500/8600!!! they may have DX10 support, but you won't be able to set the gfx up all the way to notice the difference anyways! so whats the point. Its like buying a porche with a minivans engine.