nVidia chipsets, what's the difference?

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by LoneStar, Sep 8, 2006.

1. LoneStar

LoneStar Geek Trainee

I'm really wanting the DFI Infinity because of overclocking ability, but it has the nforce4 chipset, and this will be a gaming machine. Are the nforce 550's and 570's noticably better or would i be happy with the nforce 4. It's either the Infinity board or the ABIT KN9S board. Here are links to them:

ABIT KN9S
    DFI Infinity

2. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

dont know bout the abit, its prolly alrtie but i got a dfi infinity and it rocks, it can also be modded to make it sli. the only bad thing is the the chipset heatsink is insufficient and runs around 60*c idle but it can be fixed with a replacment like for a zalman.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The nForce 500 chipsets are for AM2 CPU's, but are essentially a more refined nForce 4 with a few extras tossed in. Given what DFI's been able to do with the nForce 4 chipset, I'd still probably give them a nod over Abit.

Abit is coming back, but at this point, DFI has shown themselves to be the biggest name when it comes to overclocking. If not them, Epox would be another good choice these days. Their MF570 SLI might be a consideration if you can find it, although the price is around $120-150. These days, Abit just isn't that impressive.

From what I've been hearing, Asus has been pretty sweet on the overclocking front. Their M2N-E is within $20 more than either board.

4. LoneStar

LoneStar Geek Trainee

I thought about that, because of the 2 pci-e x16 slots,do you know what all that would consist of, and how to do it?

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I'm not sure about the Infinity being mod-able to SLI. The only board I'm aware of that you can mod to SLI is the NF4 Ultra-D, but that is socket 939. Still, seeing how DFI did it once, it's not inconcievable they'd do it again. The NF4 Ultra-D was moddable by shorting a couple contact points on the NF4 Ultra chipset.

I could be wrong, but I've heard nothing about any other board outside the NF4 Ultra-D being moddable to SLI.

6. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

basically u can do it on the infinity. take the chipset heatsink off and there are two pins with enamel coating on. take that coating off and solder those two pins and seall off. uve got and sli mobo. herez the link to prove it
    PC Modding Malaysia: content / dfi infinity nf ultraii-m2 review

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Ahh, yes, they're using the same trick they did with the Ultra-D. I'm sure nVidia is still pleased with that move. ;)

8. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

well im also pleased coz ive got myself a sli mobo which can OC like shit. ive done 350fsb with a multi of 7 to get 2450mhz, default speed but the mobo can handle it .

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Oh mine can do 285+, but my Winchester core'd 3000+ doesn't like over 220MHz HTT. I'll probably snag a San Diego when they get cheap enough. Right now I'm just throwing money in the bank, and I doubt 939 chips will be gone before the middle of next year. I am itching to see how far I can take my Ballistix, though. I know my Patriot +XBL did 285MHz. I'd expect the Ballstix to do around that if not more.