nVidia has it in the bag.

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Exfoliate, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Remember when we heard the ATI's R520 "Fudo" chip would have 32pipes, well that was a major error apparently as it will only have 16 it turns out! Get with it ATI, that's last generation stuff. They're now trying to win the battle by clockspeed alone. Supposibly Fudo's core may be clocked as high as 800Mhz which is pretty insane so expect one massive cooler. I personally would doubt if it's a single slot card though I do belive it's intended to be.
    Even worse is the fact that this card isn't expected till early Oct! By then almost eveyone who wanted the latest and greatest will already have a GTX and won't bother with the most likey compairable R520. And if nVidia releases it's Ultra version of the 7800 near Fudo's launch date they'll own ATI. This is somewhat dissappointing as I respect ATI and the X series was very impressive but then agian I'll now feel like I have some pretty sweet hardware with my new upcomming upgrade hopefully.
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=25730

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I'm glad ATI is a competitor against nVidia in the high-end video chipset market. After all, fair & healthy competition ultimately benefits us as the consumer, since competition breeds rapid innovation and lowers prices. However, I've had a hard time rooting for ATI since I've migrated to Linux; ATI's *nix drivers are abysmal, and nVidia's are second to none. For a Linux user, it's not a tough decision to make. Go nVidia. :p

3. Addis

Addis The King

I hope the higher clock speeds and possibly a hidden weapon or two will make it deserve its hype. Any competition which means cheaper stuff is good :D.

4. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Very true, hey if it works that's cool, and as the article says the R580 will have all the specs that we origionally thought the R520 would, of course we can't expect that untill, like June I would think.