NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 model 64/model 64 pro

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by djjedi, Apr 13, 2003.

1. djjedi

djjedi Geek

Can someone tell me if the opengl driver comes with the nvidia detonator?, and if its not, where can i find some opengl for games..

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

You shouldn't need any open GL driver unless you've got a 3DFX card (Voodoo series), and that uses MiniGL.

Are you having problems with running certain games?

3. djjedi

djjedi Geek

well yes, MOHAA doesnt work without a opengl and also Return to castle wolfenstein... do i need to download any opengl with this nvidia card?

4. syngod

syngod Moderator

You can get OpenGL here. Detonator drivers should include support for OpenGL though so try going to {control panel > display > settings > advanced} and see if there is an OpenGL settings tab listed.

If there is you should be able to run GL based games although it may be the actual games preventing you from playing. What exactly is the error coming up or will they just not open?

5. djjedi

djjedi Geek

this is the exactly error that happens with games

...GLW_ChoosePFD( 16, 16, 0 )
    ...35 PFDs found
    ...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
    ...failed to find an appropriate PIXELFORMAT
    ...restoring display settings
    ...WARNING: could not set the given mode (3)
    ...shutting down QGL
    ...unloading OpenGL DLL
    ...assuming '3dfxvgl' is a standalone driver
    ...initializing QGL
    ...WARNING: missing Glide installation, assuming no 3Dfx available
    ...shutting down QGL
    GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

by the way, i have xp profesional edition?, does it have problem with opengl?

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

None that I'm aware of.

Seems like the system is confused and trying to detect a 3dfx card, which isn't there. Did you have a Voodoo card in before the TNT2?

MOHAA is based off the Quake 3 engine. If you have another game based off Q3 like Jedi Knight II: Jedi Oucast, Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, or Quake 3, see if you're getting the same problem. If not, check and see if there happens to be a patch for MOHAA.

7. djjedi

djjedi Geek

no i havent installed a voodoo card before, in only had the savage pro 4 video card.. i have the same problem with return to castle wolfenstein.. by the way.. that 3dfx is it a driver like opengl? i mean separate from the nvidia drivers..??

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The reason 3dfx came into my head is because they made use of the Glide API, and Voodoo cards were made to run with this very well---which they did. 3dfx was a company that produced a series of video cards called Voodoo (2,3,4,5), and used to be the king of graphics. Unfortunately, due to some problems getting the Voodoo 5 out on time among other things was ultimately fatal. What's left of the company is owned by nVidia.
    3dfx cards used their own implementation of Open GL, called 'mini GL'. I'm not sure how the Quake 3 engine was prepped to handle this, but when Quake 3 came out originally, 3dfx was still alive and beating, thus support was still in full swing for the Voodoo cards.

Why that file is attempting to activate could be part of a routine it does. I don't have MOHAA, but I do have RtCW and a demo of Quake 3. I see if it runs that same sequence or not. I suspect it does, but I don't know for sure.