Oh Noes!

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by Matt, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Matt

Matt Oblivion Junky

Hey all.

My computer is doing some really funky stuff and its getting irritating so i'm hoping someone can diagnose this one

When i start the computer the programs that are set up to start on bootup (i.e. the apps in the startup list) like AVG, some IM's (gtalk and skype), the sound and mouse driver etc. that are not starting at all.

Its fine because i just start the programs manually but it worries me that this is happening because now AVG does not want to update because it says that It may be damaged (pls reinstall)

any advice?

2. Fred

Fred Moderator

Well Matt, the first thing that I would do is software
    • Start- run - msconfig and just double-check that they are all still in startup.
    • Secondly, look through the options of those programs to make sure they are still checked (or unchecked) so that they should start with the computer.
    • Thirdly, download a trial version of registry mechanic and run it. See if it comes up with a lot of errors. If so, remove the errors. Also, download the free software 'Ccleaner' and run the tests on that software. Once again, remove any errors. This should help clear up the registry.
    • A couple of other pieces of software that I usually run when i have significant windows problems are cryptofix and dial-a-fix. i'm not sure where to get a hold of either program though as I use them through my workplace.
    Now, if the problem still exists there very well may be problems with your hdd and possibly other hardware. Start with a program like DFT or Seatools. And you may want to run memtest for good measure. Primarily, I'd be concerned with the hdd test and the software aspect of it. As everyone knows, Windows sure throws some strange problems at the users. I feel like I may have offered perhaps a too elaborate solution, but be sure to let me know if it helps solve your problem and if not, what did help.