Old laptop problem

Discussion in 'Mobile Technology' started by WWR, Jul 22, 2007.

1. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

My fiance has an old laptop, I mean REALLY old, and there are files on there that we want to transfer to somewhere else, the laptop has no internal disc drives apart from the HDD so relies on an external floppy drive. Problem is that the external drive always comes back with the message "Device is not ready" or something to that tune, regardless of if there's a disk in there or not. To make things more difficult there are no USB ports and no Ethernet Cable ports, is there any way we can get those files to another computer?

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Is there any com ports ? There should be at least one. You will need a floppy com port drive to remove any files/folders..

3. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

There is a com port and she has an external floppy drive that connects to the port, problem is that there's a problem with either the port of the drive. Whenever the drive is connected and with a disk in the drive the drive is inaccessible from My Computer.

4. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

You need the drivers for that floppy drive, What model and Brand is it ?
    Also there is a boot disk called (smart boot manager) I have a old Tosiba laptop that I have to use this boot disk in order to get into my floppy/cd-rom..

5. allendehl

allendehl Geek Trainee

Hi, the easiest way is to put the HDD out of the notebook and plug it as slave in the other computer, either as a slave or using a USB/IDE cable(these are chip and easy to fond on the Internet).

6. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

Right, the laptop is a Toshiba Portege 650CT. The disk drive is a Toshiba 3.5" floppy drive (external) ZA1215P02, if that makes any difference.

About getting the HDD out, we've found the screws to open the casing, but I just need to buy a USB/IDE lead.