OOOPS! reported post

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Impotence, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

I just reported a post which was kinda suspicions, as it was filled with malformed html... but when i refreshed it rendered correctly.

the link for anyone with privs is http://www.hardwareforums.com/showthread.php?t=16641

perhaps there should be a way to un-report a post?

i also noticed that at the bottom of the page there was a link saying "Reported post by Addis", should that really be there? in theory if you knew the post had been reported then you could just report a random post, and see the username that reported the last post!

2. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

I reported the thread as well, as it was clearly a pimping attempt by somone advertising holidays or something. And it was in the wrong place (hardware forum...) which made me think that I should report it....

I appologise if I should not have... :O

3. Impotence

i think we might be talking about different posts... or its been moved, as its currently in new build / upgrade advice

4. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

Impotence; are you able to see which post addis reported?

sabashuali; its always good to see a reported post even if it might turn out to be genuine, it shows members are willing to help :)

5. Impotence

@Sniper: No (I tried it as soon as i saw it! lol), but obviously i know that he has reported one :p on the older reported posts i can also tell (from the link) who was the next reporter...

the rather interesting thing is, my (accidentally) reported post has been given the number 16641, and the number of the thread which i reported the post in is 16640! looks rather suspicious to me :p

unfortunately, addis's complaint was 16617, and 16616 was http://www.hardwareforums.com/freenas-home-storage-backup-16616/ ... so seems unlikely that you just minus 1 from the number of the reporting post to find the thread in which the port was reported (unless addis hates megamaced/me :p)... but i think it might help give a time frame in which the post was reported, perhaps giving a hint to what the post reported by the user was? (that is if the post time wasn't funky :p)

if i was dedicated/really bored, i could watch that reported post like a hawk until there was a reported post after mien, and then have a look at the forum index to see if the names of any of the moderators had come up and on what threads (normally the mods give a nice "thread locked for x reason"), and then do whatever with the o-so-useful information.

anyway, before i'm tempted to look any further i would suggest its removed!

6. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

sorry but remove what?

I can tell you thread ID has nothing to do with it :)

7. Impotence

the links showing next / previous posts on the "reported posts" post.

so it was just an incredible coincidence (my post being 16641 and the thread being 16640)! it might not be everything to do with it, but i think would at least give some clues! (as its the thread ID, at what time where the threads before and after it created...)

the other possibility would be reporting a random article just after a thread has been moderated, and the mod has left a nice closing message and see who made the last reported thread... obviously i don't know how many threads are reported a day on hwf, but i would say that would give a decent success rate to identify who reported what (as long as no1 had reported a post after them, and the mod was acting on a reported post)

8. Addis

Addis The King

I reported a thread which was spamming some holiday stuff. It was the same thread that sabashuali reported.

9. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Yeah I reported that one too. Was posted in the Sound and multimedia section.

10. Impotence

How exactly are the posts spammed?

I wouldn't have thought a bot could effectively create account on forums, as most use some form of 'type the characters' from the image'... unless some sad git spends all there time creating accounts on forums and then the bot deals with the spam :/ (or even worse, its all done by humans! i wouldn't have thought it would be profitable to do this anywhere though!)

11. RHochstenbach

I don't remember that I had to enter digits from an image when I registered here. In that case, those spam messages can be done by bots. And those messages are spread by those bots.

12. Impotence

I think you have to now...

13. Impotence

yup, you have to type characters from an image!

attached is the one i got when i checked the register page

Attached Files:

14. RHochstenbach

I found another spam message HERE

15. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

It's been dealt with. It's better to report and then let us make the final determination. While we are pretty good about nailing spam, we necessarily check every forum post every day.