OpenSUSE Linux 10.1 Network Install

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by rjcube, May 17, 2006.

1. rjcube

rjcube Geek Trainee

I want to try out Suse linux. While i was looking for a download i saw the network installation, and i thought one small image and downloading it as it goes is better then 5CD's, i don't have many Cd's lying around.

when I stick the CD in and everything starts up and its telling me to select a network protocol and server IP's and stuff and it completely lost me at that point. So I looked on the installation help online and didn't help much.

Right now i have a DSL modem connected to a VoIP router and thats connected to my PC, all through Ethernet

What do I need to do from that point to get it installed?

2. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

1)Boot from the SuSE network install CD
    2)An error will appear saying 'Installation media not found, going into manual setup. Click OK
    3)Click setup and install
    4)Click Network install
    5)Click configure with DHCP. Or if you know your personal IP address, enter it by clicking manual setup.
    6) Under HTTP Server, type: 212.219.56.142
    7) Under Directory on server, type: /sites/ftp.opensuse.org/pub/opensuse/distribution/SL-10.1/inst-source/
    8) The installation will begin and you will be taking to a graphical installer.
    9)Select either new installation or upgrade and tick the box next to 'Add on installation media'. Click next
    10)Press add and select HTTP
    11)Under server name type: Welcome to The UK Mirror Service
    12)Under directory on server type: /sites/ftp.opensuse.org/pub/opensuse/distribution/SL-10.1/non-oss-inst-source/

Have a lot of fun! As the guys at SuSE say...

NOTES: The installation source is Great Britain. If you live somewhere else it may be faster for you to select a nearer mirror

3. megamaced

Just noticed a formatting error:

Don't type 'Welcome to The UK Mirror Service', instead, type <www.mirrorservice.org> without the <>.

4. rjcube

rjcube Geek Trainee

How would I find a Mirror in the US?

Also, after I selecet New Installation and check the 'Add on installation media' button, then I click next, after that a box comes up that says "Instalizing Catalogs..." then I waited for a half hour or an hour and it never moved away from that screen

do I just need to wait longer? or is there somthing wrong?

5. megamaced

The list of repositories are here

You will have to ping the main repository that you choose in order to get the IP address. For example, I pinged <www.mirrorservice.org> and got the IP address 212.219.56.142. You need to enter the IP address in the HTTP server box

6. rjcube

rjcube Geek Trainee

If I wanted to ping ftp://mirror.colorado.edu/ how would i do that?

also, would using a closer server fix the box that comes up saying "Instalizing Catalogs..." that stays there and nothing else happins?

7. megamaced

Open up a command prompt and type

Code:
    ping mirror.colorado.edu
    I'm not sure, maybe the server was busy. It took about 5 minutes to complete when I did it. Try a different addon repository

8. megamaced

Okay, never mind! I've done the work for you :)

Reboot your computer from the Network install CD.

Follow steps 1 - 5 in my first post.
    Type: 128.138.238.174 under the HTTP server. Press Enter
    Type: /pub/opensuse/distribution/SL-10.1/inst-source/ in the directory on server box.

For the addon installation media. Click ADD and choose HTTP.

Type: ftp.leo.org under server name
    Type: /mirrors/opensuse/distribution/SL-10.1/non-oss-inst-source under directory on server

9. rjcube

rjcube Geek Trainee

I got to the point where you need to verify the installation, packages and partitions etc.

under software it has this error

Code:
    No catalog at ftp://128.138.238.174/%2fpub/opensuse/distribution/SL-10.1/inst-source

ERROR: No Proposal
    I have tried other sources/servers and I still get the same error, what do I need to do to solve this?

Also:Thank you megamaced, for all the help

10. megamaced

No probs :)

Okay, i'll give you one more installation source and if it doesn't work you will have to post exactly what you are doing step by step.

HTTP Server: 195.135.221.130
    Directory on Server: /distribution/SL-10.1/inst-source/

Add on installation source

Choose HTTP

Server name: <http://mirror.switch.ch> without the "< >" (also try ommiting http://)
    Directory on server: /ftp/mirror/opensuse/distribution/SL-10.1/non-oss-inst-source/