Opera Turns 10, Hands out Party Favors

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Anti-Trend, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Opera Software, creators of the well-reputed Opera web browser, are currently celebrating their 10th anniversary. As long as the party's going, they're giving away free registration codes for the Opera web browser, worth about $40/US. So go ahead, crash it, they won't mind. :birthday:

Matt555, pelvis_3 and Waffle like this.
  2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

awesome thanks

now I have a lifetime supply of registration codes.

3. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Sweet! :)

I've wanted to give Opera a try for a while now, but I was put off by the ads. They seemed to distract my attention all the time.

4. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

I used the second release of opera and then went to firefox, now i can try it again!
    Thanks.

5. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

ALL RIGHT! haha

i liked opera

6. Anti-Trend

Opera is a great browser, although Firefox is free and has some things which are better implemented about it. But I do like the mouse gestures in Opera better, and the skins in Opera apply instantly. It also renders closer to the existing standards than the current build of Firefox, but that's something the Mozilla team is working on. That functionality (and more) is supposed to appear in the next major release of Firefox, codenamed "Deerpark". It never hurts to have 2 security-minded, standards compliant browsers, eh? ;)

7. ThePenguinCometh

ThePenguinCometh There is no escape

Typical, I tried to access the site with Opera but it didn't connect for some reason so I had to use Firefox instead! :ff:

8. Anti-Trend

Hahah! :D
    I prefer Firefox for the most part, but for some reason I have a problem with Hardwareforums running slow. It's gotta be a weird combination of my version of Java, my version of Linux, and Firefox. But Opera doesn't have the same problem, so I've actually been using it to surf the forums half the time. It's a pretty nice browser without the stupid ads! :rolleyes:

9. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

it's pretty nice without the ads, yeah. I used it a while ago with ads and was put off by it, a mistake on opera's part.

10. Anti-Trend

Agreed. If they would have taken the approach of AVG and been free for personal use, it'd be a much bigger presence than it is.

11. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

i love opera, i had firefox at the same time but was more drawn to opera...and i dont know why, i started using firefox and found it just as easy to use, however without the ads in opera i may switch back (might not though, i love the gmail notifier in firefox, saves me switching and its a great little add on)

12. Anti-Trend

Yeah, I use the GMail notifier too, handy little plugin. :cool: I also like the layout of Firefox a lot better, and the fact that it's easy to use without all the hand-holding. I think Opera would be a bit more difficult for the novice user than Firefox, although Opera is clearly more user-friendly than IE, IMHO.

13. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

yeah, i have to say i downloaded matxthon and netscape, neither of them appealed to me though, so i used opera, then i just got annoyed with the ads so i switched to firefox, havent used anything else since...although i may try opera again as its got no ads now...