operating system hell!!

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by hdfk, Dec 12, 2005.

1. hdfk

hdfk Geek Trainee

hi this is my story, i scanned my comp with ad-aware and it found a windows file and quartined it, i turned my comp off and turned it on later in the say to find that it says "error loading operating system" and wnt do anyting else. is there anything i can do with having to reformat my cop cos i really need my docs and would like my comp to work again, thanks
    my comp:
    asus a8n sli premium mobo
    amd 3500+ 64bit cpu
    1024 samsung ddr 400 dual ram
    160GB samsung SATA hdd
    nvidia geforce 6600GT graphics card
    windows xp service pack 2 opertaing system
    Please help!!
    HDfk

2. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

If you can get into safe mode and do a system restore you should be okay. You could also clear the cmos if you're really dead in the water by taking about the little battery for 5 minutes and reinserting it as well.

3. hdfk

hdfk Geek Trainee

i cnt get into safe mode, if i press f8 i get the boot order i cnt find the option and, do you think that clearing the cmos would do that because it is a fault on the harddrive and not on the bios??? really need help lol

hdfk

4. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

When you press F8 at boot-time, do you get a list to choose from?
    If you do, just choose "Restore my computer to an earlier time"(i think that's what the option is) :)

5. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

If you have an original Microsoft Windows XP CD (not by a 3rd party like Siemens or emachines), it should have a repair option on it.