Opinions on various games

Discussion in 'Video Gaming' started by harrack52, Jun 22, 2003.

1. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I'm buying an MSI GF4 Ti4200 VTD8x and Ghost Recon, Morrowind and Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project come with it.

I'd like to know what you guys think of those three games.
    Ghost Recon seems complicated, is it the case ?

Also, I know for sure I'll buy UT2K3, but is Unreal 2 worth buying if I only plan to play the single player game ?
    I might play the multi player game but if the single player is worth nothing, then I won't buy it.

And more generally, what games do you guys think I should buy, in other words, what are your favorite recent games ?

I know there's a thread on what games people were waiting for, I'm gonna' check it right now, but I suppose others are coming out in a short while or maybe some games are not mentionned in that thread. I'm not really up to par these days.

I know Full Throttle 2 is supposed to come out, I liked the first one even though it was kinda' short and easy.

Thanks in advance.

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

hey

I was waiting for Metal Gear Solid 2 for the PC, but since it requires alot of space, I havent bought it yet, its on 2 DVD's I think? anyway!

I have Unreal 2, though I didnt like the single playe mode as much as Red Faction 2, I enjoyed that game. oh and don't forget Splinter Cell, that was the best game I played this year :) It was a bit complicated to get the hang of the controls but was easy after a bit of playing!

what kind of games are you into? FPS? sports? I like sports mainly know alot more about sports games than anyother :)

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I haven't played the 3 games MSI includes in their packages, but I can say that Unreal 2 just sucks---first few levels are pretty cool and you think it'd get challenging furthur along in the game, but no way. The game is kinda short, has a crappy ending, and the supposedly main enemy, the Skaarj, make just beyond a cameo appearance at the beginning and end of the game.

Or more simply: That's $50 USD down the toilet. Unreal 2 does not have anything but a single player mode...which I used to think was a good idea. However, the developers spent more time tuning the graphics than the actual gameplay much less story line.

4. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I like RPG, FPS, and sports (hockey games and racing games). I also like strategy game but I kinda' suck at it.

I think I'll leave Unreal 2 on the shelves !

I had rented Splinter Cell on the ps2 but I thought the controls were kinda' weird. The guy ( Sam I think ? ) was moving in an awkward way, but maybe it's just the ps2. I remember feeling the same way about MOH:AA but when I played on the pc, it was A LOT better.

What about bf1942 and NOLF 2 ?

I think I'll go for Red Faction 2 for now, because I've already played the first one a bit and I thought it was good. I'll probably get Splinter Cell also but I don't have a DVD drive right now so I'll wait.
    and I'll wanna get a good racing game but I'm carefull because there are lots of racing games, and although there are many good ones, there are as many bad ones. I have no steering so you can forget about realistic Formula 1 games. What I'd like is something like GT 3, this is by far the best racing game I've ever played. My dream car (Ferrari 550 Maranello) isn't in the game but I understand wy they didn't put it: I think they wanted to put "every day" cars, so no porsche/ferrari/lamborghini.

Basically, I like games period, even though I don't play very often, mainly because my card is not that good, but also because I seem to not like it as much as before. And now that I'm gonna' work at night (from 9:30 pm to 6:30 am), I won't get lots of time for it.

When you don't work, you have time to do anything but you have no money so you can't, and when you work, you have money but no time !

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Haven't played those either, but I've heard they're both good. NOLF2 is supposed to be a very, very good game from the little I've read.

3rd shifting it, eh? Well I do too, but at least I don't have to worry about conflicts with schooling...unfortunately quite a bit of what I bring home goes to pay off my car.

6. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Right now I'm lucky since I don't need a car (not even 10 min of bike to get to work), but if I had to have one, pretty much all my money would go there.

When I get back to school in August, I won't be able to work 40 hours/week but I hope to do half that, at least.
    I really don't mind working at night, but when school starts again, I don't think I'll be able to do it.
    It's gonna' be a smooth start since there are 2 back to back hollydays coming up: quebec day tuesday, and Canada day the tuesday after. so 32 hours/week for two weeks, with full pay :D

I've played the original NOLF and it was very good. I couldn't play with everything turned on because of my card but it was fun anyway. It's different and can be quite challenging.

7. syngod

syngod Moderator

Ghost Recon isn't too complicated. If you've played any of the Rainbow 6 games you'll quickly get into GR.

As far as NOLF 2, I'd rate it as one of the best FPS out there. It's not strictly run & gun, you'll have to use a bit more stealth but if you can handle the bit slower pace than a quake or doom, you'll find a great reward with the strong storyline & excellent graphics & locations.

If I can I'll have to try and find my old review of NOLF 2 and repost it to Zone365.

8. Sniper

with you there harrack52! I have the same problem when i'm working I dont get time to play but have the money to buy stuff, if I dont work, the money goes very quickly!

going on topic I have seen BF1942, but not played, though I have heard its a great game, but from the looks of it, sounds complicated. You should try when Colin McRae 3 comes out or if its already out buy it! :) also you could try Rise Of Nations?

also you dont need a DVD drive for Splinter Cell but do for Metal Gear Solid 2.

9. zeus

zeus out of date

I am really critical of games..... but BF1942 is a corker of a game. Really really good, Colin Mcrae Rally 3 is good, a bit difficult at first but im on the keyboard so...... I think Microsoft Rallisport Challenge is better though.
    Rise of Nations...... I just hate those type of games! To me they are all the same, a mate of mine who likes all them Age of Empires n stuff reckons its the best of its kind by far.

Games like Splinter Cell are all sneeky sneeky, I hate them! Hitman 2 was good though, it was supposed to be sneeky but I managed to storm the game so.....

I hate those games like Medal Of Honour and Project IGI, you cant run where you want to, you have to follow the paths making it the same everytime you play it.

Games like BF1942, all the Delta Force games etc have great diversity from game to game. Rise of Nations etc, are the same everytime so they bore me silly.

One thing I haven't got onto yet is Operation Flashpoint.
    I bought the first one but the graphics were so bad I only played it a few times. Im not someone who plays games to look at the pictures! hell my fav game of all time is Delta Force 2, I still play it more than anything else.
    Does anyone know if the add-on packs for Operation Flashpoint make the graphics and that annoying little crosshair any better?

What is NOFL2? Cant for the life of me work it out.

If you want a guaranteed good game go for Enter the Matrix. I love it! I cant play it for long periods though, dunno why!? Just one of them!

10. Sniper

lol, zeus, I just used my best friend google, and found that its not NOFL2, but NOLF2, thats No One Lives Forever 2 :) I played the demo, but never really got into it! also I do agree games like Age Of Empires etc are all the same in a certain way, yet they all have good and bad points.

I love games like Splinter Cell or Metal Gear Solid, sneeky, sneeky lol, the ability to go though out the game, without being detected is a challange! though very difficult, though its quite funny the way the guy walks, lol, oh and not forgeting Max Payn, that was a game and half when I played it :)

so you like Enter The Matrix? my bro's been telling me to get it for ages now! but from the reviews it got, it doesnt sound good..whats your opinion?

11. zeus

zeus out of date

I think Enter the Matrix would be a ton of shite when you are using a keypad.
    Its one of those mouse games.
    You've gotta get your head round the camera, thats the only querk.

Ive just been having a game of Colin McRae 3..... Ive gone off it even more now! The cars dont go in straight line at all, whatever you do... dont steer!!

I always consider myself good at car games, I even beat most of the records on GT 1 which were in the Playstation magazines, but this, I cant drive round the track without crashing on ever damn corner! Go for Rallisport Challenge if you want a rally game. You can choose which car you wanna use in that too. CM3 is the Focus only :(

I keep seeing games I havent played though.Theres so damn many now. Red Faction, Sudden Strike, Metal Gear Solid, Max Payne, Unreal Tournament, No-one Lives Forever ;), All those Tom Clancy games....... Its a full time job! Plus all the types I dont like.
    I borrowed Neverwinter Nights from a mate not long ago, its strange.

I also got accepted on a beta test of There, its some "pretend your a computer character game I think"
    Only works online between 5pm and 11pm PDT. Whatever pdt is it aint GMT London, so I will probably be in bed or work!

12. Sniper

yeh, CMR 3 looks great, I have CMR 2 found it rock hard playing with the keyboard, though my little bro is good, even comes first, now and then! lol and hes only 11! I had a control pad but broke it, cant remember why or how lol, I think CMR games are much easier and the key to the game is braking at the correct times, selecting thr right tyres etc etc

I remember GTm best racing game I ever played, could beat anyone I played, played on every day after school! not played a game as addictive as GT since! the graphics then, you just went "wow"! I think games these days lack gameplay, and concentrate on graphics etc just my opinion :) so Enter The Matrix! should I get it!

13. zeus

zeus out of date

I was gonna say at least get the demo, but there isnt a demo! Just a trailer.

Had to edit that bit out. CYA protocol.
    -Big B

14. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I'm waiting on HL2 myself. I might get Doom III. I'll see how the demo's are.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory is a free download that does not require RtCW to play. It's around 250MB for a download of the Windows or Linux version. I need to go back and get the Linux version. Check out ShackNews for more info.

15. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Zeus you're right: so many games.
    You wouldn't think there's so many but when you start thinking about it, you can't start to buy 'em all !
    I didn'T evenremember that HL2 was coming out !
    Doom III is mine !!! no mater what. I spent countless hours on the previous two. It is by far my favorite game of all time. I could lay for 6-7 hours straight and I'd still ask for more.

I have a hard time on strategy games. I've never finished Warcraft II !!! I was close but..not close enough, and you can forget about the expansion pack, I was stuck on the third level but my friend thought it was so easy. I like those games but it's just too much for me I guess. I didn't like Age of Empires though. Caesar III was very good, even though I suckedt at it too !

Enter the Matrix ? I always thought games made from movies were bad...Apart from Spiderman which was very good if I remember correctly. What do you mean you have to get your head round the camera ? (zeus)

And has any of you played the The Two Towers ? It looked very good but because it was made from a movie, I've never even rented, and even so, I can only rent it for the ps2.

Sniper: I'd beat you EASY at GT3, it's a no contest. Just give me the F/687S and I'm long gone :D (Formula type of car).
    The best espionnage game I've played is the Syphon Filter series, it's more of an arcade game than Metal Gear Solid, although I liked it very much. I was upset when I rented Splinter Cell on the ps2, not only the controls were weird but the game wouldn't recognize my memory card, since it's a non-sony one ! I couldn't even save my game.

I've never played any of the Tom Clancy games but I always thought they looked good, and complicated too. If I like Ghost Recon I might get Raven Shield.

16. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The official word on HL2 hasn't been out very long---maybe a month. Right now, it's supposed to hit September 30 of this year.

17. zeus

zeus out of date

Ive just read in another forum that dice are making..... battlefield: Vietnam.
    I hoped they would make battlefield a bit more up to date than WW2.

18. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Zeus just look at movies for instance: How many american WWII movies are there ? and how many American Vietnam movies are there ?

It'S only normal that it will translate into the same thing game-wise.

19. Sniper

true harrack52, zeus I've also heard about that but not much detail about it...I'm sure you can beat me harrack52, since I dont own the game, man I love sports games, my fav being football i.e. the ISS Pro series, rocks!!! much better than fifa foorball games! also I read that an ISS game is on its way to the PC :) cant wait!

20. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

By football you mean soccer I guess ?
    the only recent soccer game I'vep layed is FIFA 2002 and it was quite hard to play, I simply hate the gameplay.

I love soccer, it's a great sport but I don't know many soccer games and the ones I know pretty much all suck !
    I might checkout that ISS game though.
    Since the NES, I have yet to find a nice soccer game.