Optimal Hardware For Adobe Photoshop And Premiere Pro: Did I Screw Up?

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by BobDammit, Feb 26, 2016.

1. BobDammit

BobDammit Geek Trainee

Hello, all.
    I may have shot myself in the foot here. I recently built a new PC which would allow myself to cut my 4k video rendering and HDR photography times way down from my previous build (about 3 years old). Here is my new rig:
    Supermicro X10DAX motherboard
    Dual Xeon 2620 v3. (2.4Ghz + 6 core) processors (12 cores total)
    Dual MSI GeForce 980 GTX in SLI
    64Gb Kingston DDR4 RAM (ECC @ 2100) 4 x 16Gb
    LEPA P1375M (1375 W) power supply
    512 Gb SSD for the OS (Windows 8.1 Pro)
    4 x 2Tb HDD in Raid 5 for data
    Asus BluRay Burner
    LG 31MU97 Cinematic 4k Monitor (4096x2160)
    With this configuration I was able to render 6.5 minutes of cinematic 4k video in under an hour using Sony Vegas Video 13. But after about a week I could no longer see the video in the preview panel. I've been using Photoshop forever so I decided to purchase the Photographer Package (Lightroom & Photoshop) on a $9.99 month to month basis. Two days later they had a promo going that I missed where you could get the whole Adobe CC package for $29.99/month for 12 months. I jumped on this since it was the last day and that would also give me Premiere Pro, AfterEffects and Dreamweaver which I've used extensively in the past.
    Long story short... Lightroom lags. Photoshop lags. Merging HDR photos is faster than what I experienced on my laptop but one of the main features that I use is the Wide Angle Correction Tool to straighten out all of my photos that I take for Real Estate purposes. The image tears and takes forever to update when using this tool. Also, the cursor does not display correctly within the right-hand preview box, so I can't be remotely accurate with what I'm doing. All of this functions almost immediately on my laptop, which is a quad-core (3.2Gh) with 8Gb of DDR3 RAM.
    Using Adobe Premiere Pro my render time for 6.5 minutes of the same 4k video was about 6 hours. Way, way slower than Vegas 13. I've installed 5 different hardware benchmark programs and this rig is performing as I thought it should. It's, figuratively speaking, off the charts in all aspects of the hardware.
    Tier 2 Adobe tech support wasn't able to figure it out and now my case # is being sent to the development team. I've been screwing around with this for a week now.
    So this is what I've heard. My build is terrible for Photoshop because Photoshop uses single threading for almost all of the program's functions. My dual Xeon 2.4GHz processors perform worse than an Intel i7 6700K would operating at 4.0GHz (4.2Ghz boost) and only being a quad core. I was also told that anything more than 6 cores is going to perform worse in this entire Adobe Suite. Apparently it uses single threading so the 4.2GHz chip would be a much better choice...
    Is this accurate? I can't seem to find (and neither can Adobe to this point) any settings that would speed up the process and get this to function like I know it can.
    If I did screw the pooch with my build, I'd be willing to dual boot with Linux if there are comparable programs out there that will get the job done. All of my Real Estate photos I take I do with HDR photography merging between 4-7 exposures. But one of the main things is being able to fix the wide angle lens distortion. Also, my DJI Inspire 1 shoots in 4096x2160. My GoPro shoots at 3840x2160. I'm using a Canon EOS 6D for my photos.
    I built this computer to cut down on my HDR post-processing times. I was averaging about 20 minutes per photo with my laptop. I have that cut down to 4 minutes now but I can't fix the wide angle distortion. Premiere crawls when rendering my 4k video.
    Where the hell do I go from here? I'd really appreciate anyone's professional insight or experience. I'm about ready to sell off my motherboard, RAM, and two Xeon processors at this point and go with that Intel i7 6700K and non ecc DDR4 (4x16 @ 3200) RAM. I just don't want to screw this build up again if that's exactly what I've done. And I can't afford to compromise on my 4k video rendering times too much. I was trying to build something that could handle both efficiently.
    Thanks in advance,
    Bob

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  2. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

In case you only do Photoshop, dual 2.4 GHz (3.2GHz turbo however) Xeons are waste because single thread performance is very poor (compared to quad core Intels) and Photoshop is crappy software. Video/photo editing is something that should use many cores effectively but Adobe just don't really care.

Also problem may be on software side, so perhaps your Photoshop (or Windows) installation has screwed up. SLI can cause some problems too.