Oracle rips off Red Hat Enterprise

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Addis, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Addis

Addis The King

I really didn't expect this like other people, but Oracle, the massive database ISV, has released information that it will take Red Hat's Enterprise Linux product, strip the Red Hat trademark logos and resell it as "Unbreakable Linux" at a lower price for support than Red Hat.

No one saw this coming. People talked about Oracle making its own Linux, or buying a Linux company (Ubuntu?). But, the news that Oracle is erasing Red Hat's trademarks from Unbreakable Linux and supporting it for less than Red Hat is a bolt from the blue.

Or, perhaps, I should say that Oracle is firing a shot at the heart of Red Hat, and commercial Linux?

This really, really ticks me off.

Oracle's claims as to why it felt it had to make this move are BS.

The Oracle press release reads, "Red Hat only provides bug fixes for the latest version of its software. This often requires customers to upgrade to a new version of Linux software to get a bug fixed. Oracle's new Unbreakable Linux program will provide bug fixes to future, current, and back releases of Linux. In other words, Oracle will provide the same level of enterprise support for Linux as is available for other operating systems."

keeping an eye on the penguin