Overclocked a PII to 1.6ghz

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by curtis20, Nov 9, 2005.

1. curtis20

curtis20 Guest

2. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

i think it could be with watercooling and bumping up the voltage.

3. curtis20

curtis20 Guest

Do you think that could really be done?

4. Willz

ihmmm, yes i do

5. Addis

Addis The King

I don't believe he actually did it.

6. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

Doesnt seem likely.... he says he used air cooling (doubt it) and he hasnt posted any pics of this overclock.

There's alot of crap on the internet (i would say 80% of the facts on the internet are not facts)

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

No. Even with extreme cooling methods, there's a limitation on how fast that CPU could go. The man is claiming a 300% overclock. There is no reliable evidence that any Pentium II could go that high. 50% overclocks are considered to be on the high-end of the OC percentages. I'd give him some credit if he said something like 700MHz. While that's still out of the range of most OC's, that could be a reasonable OC.

That guy is talking pure bullshit. Find a reputable person that has OC'd a Pentium II, not III, to that level of an OC. You can't. He hasn't.

8. Willz

its only 800mhz over stock.

someone got a pentium 4 to 6ghz with extreme cooling once i think.

9. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

The pure fact is willhub, that ancient ruin of a CPU could NEVER go that high, it just can't be done!

10. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Impossible. The L2 Cache on the P2 was already slower than the CPU's clock speed. He'd have to disable both the L1 cache and the L2 cache to get anywhere near the claimed overclock, and even then I'm sure it's not true. Do know how much volatage he'd need for that junk? Even if it was possible, we're talking liquid nitrogen and a custom voltage regulator. But the fact remains that it's simply not possible with a freaking .25 micron process!

11. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

Yeah but after disabling L1+2 cache it's hardly able to be called a pII anymore.

It's BS.

I heard someone took a p4 to 8.3ghz but knowing p4's it probably died the next hour.

12. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

Got a link? I'm interested to see how long the CPU life lasted, and what kind of cooling they used. This kind of stuff interests me a lot :)

13. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

He's claiming nearly 1.2GHz. That's nearly a 300% increase over stock...and he's claiming he's done it on air. To be honest, the motherboard he's stated to have, the Asus P2B-F, would have to have a selectable FSB of up to around 400MHz. Motherboards back then did not have that high of an FSB. Could he play with the multiplier? Only downward...and given that wouldn't helped him, that would've been a stupid move.

As AT already mentioned, the manufacuturing process of .25 micron is incapable of that speed. If Intel could've gotten the PII to 1.6GHz, why did they need to change the design that much and go to the 0.18, 0.13, and the current 0.09 micron process to hit today's speeds?

While I know some people can hit some nice OC's with extreme cooling, the fact is, it'd be very difficult to get anywhere close to what that guy is claiming. The Pentium II only went up to 450MHz due to their design. Yes, someone with a 3.x P4 has likely hit 6GHz, but the design of the Pentium 4 allowed it to scale extremely well. The Pentium II is nothing like the Pentium 4, save some basic architecture (x86).

14. pelvis_3

If anyone here actually read the whole 8 pages of that thread (like i did when i was bored), he got cought out at the end using a Celeron 1.4Ghz with a Powerleap adapter!

15. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

I actually did read the whole thread(I was bored too). What an attention whore.

16. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Yeah a lot of people do stuff like that, supposibly, he learns the term overclock and wants a few minutes of fame. Sad really.
    However the 8.3Ghz P4 is crazy, the most I've ever read of was 7.2Ghz. Man kind of tempting to get a P4 now...if I had extreme cooling anyway.

17. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

How much money are we talkin here for a liquid nitrogen cooling setup if someone was to attempt this?

18. pelvis_3

A few hundred dollars maybe, and you'd have to have access to liquid nitroigen in the first place, which i think is reserved for Schools, Science labs and the like!

19. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Yes, it'd be much more cost-effective and practical just to get a dual Opteron rig. You can overclock certain Opterons an amazing amount, and they are already amazing performers for the money. The memory bandwidth on an Opteron makes anything Intel has look less than appealing. Intel may release an Opteron killer in the near future, who knows. But for now they are getting creamed.

20. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

Wish i had access to liquid nitrogen..... the fun i would have! Such as freezing cans of shaving foam, ripping open the cans and taking out the solid lumps of foam and putting them in cars/lockers etc (they will expand to there full volume as they heat up :p)