Overclocking AMD 4000+

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Merlin, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Merlin

Merlin Geek Trainee

Hi guys Im looking for some comments/suggestions on my attempt to overclock my system. I want to see how far my PC can go without changing any of my voltages and remaining stable.

Hardware im using:

AMD 64 4000+ San Diego Socket 939 (Stock @ 2.4GHz) with CoolerMaster Hyper48 Heatsink & Fan
    DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR EXPERT Motherboard (BIOS v0.7)
    2Gb Corsiar XMS 3500LL Pro RAM (rated 2-3-2-6 1T @ 433MHz)
    Enermax Liberty 500W Modular PSU

To start with it set my memory to 3-4-4-8 2T with a FSB : DRAM ratio of 1 :1 and set my CPU multiplier to X6 to see how far I could push the FSB. Any FSB over 200 required me to set my HTT multi to X4 to remain stable. I easily got to 250, running Memtest86 (comes pre-loaded with DFI Mobo's :cool:) to see if it was stable. However, having the FSB set to 255 caused my PC to stop booting. I tried lowering the HTT multi to X3, but still no joy PC wouldnt boot. I couldnt be bothered to check every MHz from 250-255 to I set the FSB to 251 to see if it was the HTT multiplier that was causing the trouble, but It booted into memtest and was stable so I left it there.

I had no problems with overclocking the processor, After running each with Prime95 this is what I got:

251FSB X 10 = 2510 CPU temp idle = 31C, CPU temp max = 39

251FSB X 11 = 2761 Exactly the same temps

[​IMG]
    Picture taken during Prime95

I have a big problem though, If you look at the picture above you will notice that the memory frequency is running at 230Mhz (well below what it is capable of. I know what the problem is but Im not sure what is the best way to get around it. The memory frequency is locked to one 12th of the CPU speed:

Memory frequency = (FSB X CPU multiplier) divided by default CPU multiplier (im my case 12)

This could be negated through only using a CPU multiplier of X12 but then I would not be able to use my RAM to the maximum because I doubt my CPU could run at 3GHz without upping the voltage.

OR

Should I try using a differnet FSB : DRAM ratio? 5 : 6? Would this work if the memory frequency is locked to one 12th of the CPU speed?

Should I establish the maximum speed my memory can achieve with a mixture of timings first, and then see what I get out of the CPU?

As I said before any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

That's actually 460MHz. (230MHz x 2)
    It's DDR RAM don't forget.

3. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

well, on my motherboard i got some sort of cpu:memory ratio, if i did not change it, my memory would be running at 520mhz, not possible, so i change it, i am running at 2.8ghz (1.45V) memory at 420mhz (210mhz x 2), my FSB is at 254mhz and HT at 3x.

You should try using different FSB: DRAM ratio, i would of thought there would be some sort of CPU:Memory ratio on that board, i think you will be able to get your cpu to 3ghz 100% stable with a voltage bump, and maybe even 3.2ghz, but thats your max, voltage will start shooting up.