Overclocking Hp 6005 Pro Mt Phenom Ii X4 Qc B97 3.20ghz

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by navyfalcon, Aug 2, 2016.

1. navyfalcon

navyfalcon Geek Trainee

I bought a used HP computer, the specs are below. I want to overclock it moderately. I have been unable to find the correct mainboard manual.
    Thank You
    falcon

HP 6005 PRO MT PHENOM II x4 QC B97 3.20GHz 4GB 500GB Desktop Win 7 PRO
    AMD Phenom II X4 B97 specifications:
    HP Compaq 6005 PRO MT AMD Phenom II X4 B95 MOBO 531966-001
    BIOS 786G2 Ver. 1.09 (update Rev. 1.17)
    North Bridge Intel Q45/Q43 rev 03
    South Bridge Intel 82801JD (ICH10D) rev 02
    BIOS Hewlett-Packard 786G2 v01.09 (08/25/2009)

General information
    Type CPU / Microprocessor
    Market segment Desktop
    Family AMD Phenom II X4
    Model number B97
    CPU part number HDXB97WFK4DGM is an OEM/tray microprocessor
    Stepping code AACAC AC
    Frequency ? 3200 MHz
    Bus speed ? 667 MHz Memory controller
    One 2000 MHz 16-bit HyperTransport link (4 GT/s)
    Clock multiplier ? 16
    Package 938-pin organic micro-PGA
    Sockets Socket AM2+
    Socket AM3
    Thermal Design Power ? 95 Watt
    Form Factor: Mini Tower
    - - - -
    Can the BIOS be unlocked or flashed to use BIOS for overclocking or does it need to be software overclocked
    Where can I find the correct motherboard manual
    Where can I find the information on the BIOS for overclocking
    I will put a case fan and a heatpipe CPU cooler for additional cooling
    The moderate overclocking will depend on the heat
    -
    Any suggestions would be appreciated
    Thank You
    falcon

2. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

Can the BIOS be unlocked or flashed to use BIOS for overclocking or does it need to be software overclocked: Probably not. OEM machines usually are not overclocking friendly.
    Where can I find the correct motherboard manual: Google 531966-001, it founds something
    Where can I find the information on the BIOS for overclocking: As said, OEM machines are not overclocking friendly, you probably just cannot overclock

You can try tools like AMD overdrive but I expect that is not supported by motherboard. Also overclocking machine like that will likely break it.

3. navyfalcon

navyfalcon Geek Trainee

Yes overclocking will harm it without adequate cooling, therefor I need to improve the cooling. I need information from the motherboard manual to obtain information for overclocking,
    but have been unable to find the information or manual. Since HP obtains motherboards from manufactures changed to HP specs. if I can find the OEM then flashing the BIOS to their specs
    should unlock the BIOS. Not extreme but moderate overclocking should be safe with proper testing and cooling
    Thank You
    falcon

4. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

OEM's do not benefit from releasing overclocking friendly BIOS's. So they don't do it. So forget overclocking from BIOS.

Software overclocking MAY be possible but because motherboard is low quality, I don't recommend that either.

5. navyfalcon

navyfalcon Geek Trainee

Thank You. Yes, this is a low end commercial computer with low quality everything and has special PSU and MOBO with proprietary connections so I need special adapters
    Do you know where I can get information on the motherboard? This CPU is 95 watts and I think they support the next CPU which is 125 watts. I need to check that, which would allow moderate overclocking with software.
    Thank You
    falcon

6. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

I really suspect that board supports 125W CPU as there's no reason for that. No idea where to get information as that motherboard is part of machine that's intended to "work as it is" without supporting additional tweaking. That "additional tweaking" includes overclocking.

You probably can buy used AM3 motherboard cheaply if want to try overclocking. With that motherboard, it's quite hopeless anyway.