OverClocking my System..

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by ProcalX, Nov 3, 2003.

1. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

after gettin a few opinions from people this is the system i am going for (the 1 in my signature)

i know if i do overclock i'll need better ram and cooling system.
    but i can get em in xmas sales.

is my system any good for overclocking? and what (with the right ram / cooling) could i presumably overclock to?

and could someone post a link or several links to a really good really noobish guide to overclocking ?

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

It would really help to know what kind of chassis and PSU you have. They have a lot to do with overclocking. If your PSU can't stand the strain of increased voltage, you may damage your system. Also, it's good to have a chassis with plenty of airflow. Airflow where it counts -- across major components. If your chassis is running warm constantly right now, imagine what it'd be like with several overclocked components... :swt:

3. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

by chasis u mean case eh?

well here it is:
    http://www.antec-inc.com/pro_details_enclosure.php?ProdID=90662

and it comes with a 330 watt power supply.. i was thinking of getting a gold 550watt in january

just to add.. i will be overclocking in january once i get all my other parts ie: ram, cd-rw and cooling systems

4. Anti-Trend

Looks like an overall good chassis, shouldn't be too much of a problem for overclocking. It's good that the HDD basket has a fan mount; that makes a big difference for the life of the HDD(s). Since there are only 3 exhaust fans though, you might consider using fans with higher than average RPMs, if you don't mind the added noise. A good choice would be Thermaltake's 80mm Smart Fans, which vary speed by temperature (2900RPM ~ 5000RPM) http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=35-999-110-01.JPG/35-999-110-02.JPG/35-999-110-05.jpg. The link is to a retailer in the US, but it's just for the picture. You should be able to find 'em in the UK too :)

5. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

well this is my first "new" generation pc that i am building my self, i've built tones of old pc's from scratch but they were never anything that i really put money into.. like this..

i've upgraded everything in my old pc except: motherboard and powersupply, i'm pretty new to all this "extra" stuff like "bartons" and Dual channel e.t.c

havn't really kept uptodate with it all.. thanks for ur research on the fans, just MAJORLY want 2 get all the hardware working with no problems.. bit worried :) hehe

6. Anti-Trend

If you're worried about potential problems with this system, don't be. :D IMHO, systems today which are built from quality parts are many times easier to build and configure than they were half a decade ago. If you've built systems in the past, I'll think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the ease of setup with the newer stuff.

Regarding the overclock issue, I'd definitely make sure the system was running 100% stable for at least a month before considering major overclocking. That way you have a good feel for how the system runs normally, and how well it performs. It'll be much easier when you do overclock, and easier to troubleshoot if you encounter problems along the way.

7. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Personnally, I'd get the PlusView1080AMG

It comes with 3 fans and a truepower 430W.

It's a big case, plenty of airflow. It's more expensive but it's worth it.

If you're serious in ocing, I think a 330W ps is a little small, even if it's a antec.

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Actually, you're not going to lose that much performance not going dual-channel with the Athlon XP. If it were the Pentium 4, that'd be a different story. The main reason I'm mentioning this is because you'd said in another thread how you were trying to save some money.

9. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

o ok, so my current ram is ok?

10. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I'd change the RAM if you're going to overclock: Kingston has been good for me.

But having two sticks will not give you much more than only one, that'S what BigB means.
    You know what dual channel is right ?

11. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yes. With the nForce 2, all the benchmarks I have seen show that there is very little difference between single channel and dual-channel modes.
    You'll have some room to OC since you do have a 333MHz FSB Athlon. I am not sure about the quality or OC ability of the stuff, having never used it. I'd check and see if you could get something like Crucial or Samsung if you want my opinion for low-cost, quality RAM. If you really want to have solid headroom for some major overclocking, look into some Corsair XMS or Kingston HyperX DDR.
    OCZ...umm, I've heard too many bad things about them. Until I personally go through and test the stuff, I'd stay away from the stuff.