Overclocking, should I?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by WWR, Jan 23, 2005.

1. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

First off I have an Intel CPU so I know I'll have to increase the FSB to overclock it, but my question is this: Is my computer able to handle it? A friend of mine told me my RAM couldn't take it if I overclocked it. I know about heat issues too, my Motherboard Monitor sensor tells me I'm running at about 35C normally, sometimes as high as 37C, highest ever being 40C while playing Doom 3.

I'll post what CPUZ says about my RAM, as that's what my friend derived his opinion from: ( a | denotes a split between the columns)

Slot1: (512mb DDR-SDRAM)
    Frequency: ----------| 133MHz | 166MHz | 200MHz
    CAS# Latency: ------| 2.0 | 2.5 | 3.0
    RAS# to CAS#: ------| 2 | 3 | 3
    RAS# Precharge: ----| 2 | 3 | 3
    TRas#: --------------| 6 | 7 | 8

Slot2: (512mb DDR-SDRAM)
    Frequency: -----| 166MHz
    CAS# Latency: --| 2.5
    RAS# to CAS#: -| 3
    RAS# Precharge: | 3
    TRas#: ---------| 7

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

well, your ram will be running at 1:1 ratio with your CPU's FSB at your CPU's FSB set to 333. What is it now?

3. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

I think you might be able to overclock it a little bit, I think the RAM in slot 2 will limit the reults.

4. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

CPUZ reads my FSB at 199.5MHz

5. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

Try setting FSB to 333. I'm pretty sure you can do it

6. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

You should be able to set something called your memory "divider", your CPU and your memory run at an "FSB", usually in a 1:1 ratio, so for example if your memory's FSB is set to 200Mhz, your CPU will run at 200Mhz.

The way your computer determines your overall CPU speed is by multiplying the FSB of the CPU by the multiplier, each CPU has its own inbuilt multiplier, you can usually higher or lower this, for example my computer runs stock (out of the box) at:

Ratio: 1:1
    Memory: 200Mhz FSB (DDR400 - PC3200)
    CPU: 200Mhz FSB
    Multiplier: x10

So the FSB of your CPU is controlled by your CPU:Memory ratio, and obviously the Memory speed, but most importantly the ratio you have set.

So if you use a 1:1 ratio your CPU will run at the same FSB as your Memory will, this is why you will not be able to overclock very much, if at all, due to the fact that your memory in Dimm#2 is only capable of 166Mhz (DDR333).

What you can do however, is do what i've done and run these settings:

My memory is GeIL PC3200 DDR400 (200Mhz FSB) - which means it won't want to be overclocked much more than that, unless it's very good overclocking memory.

Either way i run:
    Ratio: 3:2
    FSB is set to: 250Mhz meaning my CPU runs at: 250Mhz FSB
    Memory is then running at 212Mhz I believe, because 250:212 is the equivelant to a 3:2 ratio :good:

Then using the unchanged Multiplier of x10 my running speeds are:
    CPU:250Mhz
    Memory:212Mhz
    Multiplier: x10
    End result: 2500Mhz Operating speed (CPU)

This means that i have only overclocked my memory to 212Mhz from 200Mhz so 212Mhz = DDR424 (so its a very small overclock on the memory).

Obviously because your Dimm#2 is only supposed to operate at 166Mhz, and your computer as you say says its running at 200Mhz, you've overclocked your 166Mhz to 200Mhz, which is a very high overclock for that kind of memory - especially if its generic.

Unless your motherboards bios has automatically set a new Ratio, therefore allowing the needed CPU speed, but without frying your memory.

Every time that you increase the FSB of your memory, you should ideally increase the speed in 5Mhz increments, (10Mhz overclock) as this will make sure you don't jump to far ahead of yourself.

Also, at some point you will get to a point, where your computer starts to be unstable, freezing, being v.slow with the OC, this is where you need to increase the VDimm, this is the Voltage that is supplied to the memory, typical Vdimm capabilities are from: 2.6V - 2.8V I would not recommend running memory over 2.8V, unless the memory is designed to run at higher voltages.

When your computer becomes unstable, increase your Vdimm by 0.1V at a time, until it becomes stable again, then start increasing in 5Mhz increments, until you get unstable again, then increase the Vdimm by 0.1V until it becomes stable, however i highly recommend NOT going over 2.8V.

When you reach your highest overclock, increase your Vcore by 0.025 at a time until it becomes stable, but you do NOT want to up your Vcore to much, as it makes your CPU become very hot, and unless you have sufficient cooling it can quite easily damage your CPU, even if you have the best cooling, to much Vcore will damage your CPU anyway.

I recommend surfing the net for other peoples overclocks with your processor..

Hope this helps

-PX

7. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

Thanks, but I've heard some strange things on the net as well. One site says that ALL Intel-made mobos have their FSBs locked, but another site shows people who have successfully overclocked with Intel mobos, which one is telling the truth? :confused:

8. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up