Overclocking

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by evanjanis, Oct 28, 2004.

1. evanjanis

evanjanis Geek Trainee

I was wondering if their is away that i could overt clock by computer a little with stock parts. I have a Dell with 3.0ghz ht and 1.5 gb of ram

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Probably not, but do a search for SoftFSB...that might work, but, if you're serious about overclocking, you're going to want a better motherboard. Additionally, the Pentium 4 (unless you have an engineering sample) can only be overclocked with the FSB. Typically, the FSB:Memory ratio will be set to 1:1, for optimal performance, which would mean you'd have PC3200 in there. Unfortunately, it being a Dell (or any prebuilt box), the memory may very well not OC high. You also don't have the luxury of voltage tweaks. Depending on your luck, you might be able to get anywhere from 3.2-3.4GHz, but that really depends on how well that CPU scales. If it's a "C" it's using the Northwood core, and is on the upper end of it's limits, so you may not get very far simply due to that.

A good, cheap OCing board would be Abit's IS7-E (or any IS7 board, save the IS7-E2 and IS7-V). I have one and it's one bad mofo.

3. evanjanis

evanjanis Geek Trainee

Yeah I thought i would have to get a new board for it. Yeah i think if I tried to overclock by dell it would shut its self down becuase it got some serious software built into the board and power supply. So i gess that is out of the qestion. So can i go with an extra 1gb to make it even faster or should i invest my money in something else for my computer.

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Quite honestly, unless you're running a crapload of stuff at once, or lots of programs that require gobs of RAM, you're looking at very little to no performance increases going to 2GB. I can see 2GB being more commonplace in a couple of years, but for right now, that's really a waste of money.

If you're going to overclock, get a motherboard, compatible power supply and a decent heatsink. Don't blow it on more RAM, as you probably have more than you're really making use of as it is.

5. evanjanis

evanjanis Geek Trainee

K for getting a new fan for my dell computer. What should i get I need some help becuase you understand what i need to mount it onto my dell motherboard. Is their any pitcular modle that comes with the rails or adapter
    hey look at this one for me it comes with a bracket for the system

Thermaltake CL-P0019 Fanless 103 Fanless Cooler w/Heatpipe Cooling Tech

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=370494

Also i did some looking and found a dell compatible power supply (dell computers only come with 250w)
    The website is http://www.pcpowercooling.com

6. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

If you want performance, don't get a passive heatsink. Get something Thermaltake, or any copper heatsink with a fan over or around 35 CFM

7. evanjanis

evanjanis Geek Trainee

I did some finding and found out that the Thermaltake CL-P0025 SilentTower Heatpipe Cooling will fit on my dell computer motherbaord. It comes with the plate that i need. I just take the dell bracket off and flip the board around and install the new one.

8. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

Do you have pretty good airflow in your case?

9. evanjanis

evanjanis Geek Trainee

Yeah form the fan to the processor is stright their it even has a duck on it to make the air flow to the processor better. It is not the airflow that is the problem it is the nosie it is to nosiy.

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

PC Power & Cooling is basically the Rolls Royce of power supplies. Extremely expensive, but if you want the best damn power supply you can get, these are the best.

11. evanjanis

evanjanis Geek Trainee

K i will look around thanks